Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swinging Steaks - Lost My Way (Robert's mix)
This one was interesting from the first impressions I got from the tracks. They're not really that brilliant - BUT it's sometimes surprising what can be achieved when one applies a bit ruthless decision making. IMHO, the track that sunk the ship (so-to-speak) was the piano. For the less experienced mixers: If you find yourself struggling with the soundbalance, mute the piano track until later and decide what you want to do with it once the mix is running ok. Personally, I didn't use it until the outro - but that was purely a creative decision on my part. The snare drum's also problematic and you can get some of the top-end it needs by using the bleed from the hats.... and with a bit careful automation, 'disguise' the compromise being made. It's not perfect - but it's better than what's available from just the snare track. The backing vocals are surprisingly easy the balance - but it takes a lot of work to 'tame' the dynamics of the lead vocal. I was reasonably happy with the way this turned out, but will return at some point for the usual refinements / tweeks. All comments most welcome.

.mp3    Lost My Way - Robert\'s mix - 6-April-2013.mp3 --  (Download: 9.9 MB)