Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Reason To Leave - My Take
This was a fun recording and mix. All the tracks were pristine which made it this much easier to mix. For me I found it quite straightforward although I did have the benefit of listening to a few mixes in the group for inspiration and guidance.

One of the suggestions was to leave the tracks as dynamic as possible. To that end the only track with any compression on it was the lead vocal at 2:1.

I used some very basic effects like beat delay and plate reverbs of various flavors.

I hope you enjoy my take.

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - A Reason To Leave.mp3 --  (Download: 3.73 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Not a bad mix, but the instruments are drenched in reverb and delay making them rather weak (lack of transients) and far away, while the vocals are too dry (comparatively) and too loud, making them apart like a karaoke track on top of an instrumental background.
I'd go easier on the reverb/delays, try to regain some punch from the rhythm section in particular, and make sure the vocals are heard as part of the band instead of pasted on top of it. Keep it up! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
I agree and I have already remixed it. I should probably wait to post things here until I have listened to them in more locations. I will post my new mix shortly. I am almost sure you will not like what I have done with the lead vocal.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
This remix and re-master has a bit more subtleties in the effects and more depth to the ensemble instruments. More strikingly is a completely new take on the lead vocal with an allusion to Donovan.

I hope you enjoy it.

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - A Reason To Leave - A.mp3 --  (Download: 3.88 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I can not figure out what is good and what is not. Everything is subjective. You have a very good mix. But why do I like my job more? Probably because it is my (related) ...)))) I listened yesterday to the original (https://ghostlybeard.com/music) and it seemed to me somewhat rude. I could make my mix sound the same, but it would not be my personal decision. Two days ago I wanted a natural, soft sound. But right now I began to doubt the correctness of the choice ...))) If you find the time - look what I have done there. I was too conservative about the sound? http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=28710
Alexander