Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix
Hello.
Here is my newbie mix. Any respons from you would be great.
Best regards Fredrik (proffessional bass player and hobby sound engineer)

.mp3    Bigband mix.mp3 --  (Download: 4.08 MB)

Hiya Fredrik

Wow, first posting and you've tackled one of the trickier multitracks right away. Well done!

Knowing how hard this song was to mix, I think you have done a very good job for a 'newbie' Smile

The main thing I have to offer is to get those vocals up a little bit more in level against the horns. Though the horn section commands the most attention with sheer volume and lots of energy in the sensitive range of our hearing, try to make the singer the main focus of the tune by bringing her level up a bit and maybe adding a bit of reverb to the horns to make them settle back a little into the space a little more.
If you send them to the same reverb as you have on the vocalist, it will also give the impression they are all in the same room.

Nice work!

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
Thanks for your response. I will take your advice to me. I noticed that mixing this song took several time and my ears was tired in the end of the mixing session. Listening to it today with fresh ears I agree with your advices about my mix :-)
Thanks for listening.
Best regards, Fredrik.

(06-04-2013, 12:53 PM)Dags Wrote: Hiya Fredrik

Wow, first posting and you've tackled one of the trickier multitracks right away. Well done!

Knowing how hard this song was to mix, I think you have done a very good job for a 'newbie' Smile

The main thing I have to offer is to get those vocals up a little bit more in level against the horns. Though the horn section commands the most attention with sheer volume and lots of energy in the sensitive range of our hearing, try to make the singer the main focus of the tune by bringing her level up a bit and maybe adding a bit of reverb to the horns to make them settle back a little into the space a little more.
If you send them to the same reverb as you have on the vocalist, it will also give the impression they are all in the same room.

Nice work!

Dags

LOL! I completely understand about your ears being tired. I had 4 or 5 attempts at getting this song right across several days and nights and I'm still not entirely certain I'm happy with my last posted version.

I think that I could keep tweaking most of my mixes forever - it's really hard to know when to just say 'enough!' Smile

But I think you're on the right track with this tune.

Dags
So many songs, so little time!