Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Alone_JB Mix (First timer)
Hey gang,

Here is my first mix posting to this forum! This one called out for an old school feel so I went sparingly on the FX. No drum replacement either... just a lot of phase correction! Smile The guitar track had a lot of high frequency drum bleed which proved quite the challenge in terms of getting good level and not messing up the kit.

Would appreciate your thoughts and feedback. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Joe

.m4a    FredyV_Not Alone_JBmix.m4a --  (Download: 6.44 MB)

Wow, you nailed it right out of the gate! No complaints here. Very balanced and easy on the ears. I like the treatment on the distorted guitar at the end. Your attention to detail really shows. I honestly quit all my automation half way through the end section where I figured the song would fade out, but you stuck it out to the end. Kudos!
Thanks so much parnellij! I truly appreciate that you took the time to listen, especially thru the end haha. I just saw that you posted a mix of this so I am going to check it out now.

I listened to my mix in the car and the piano still really bothers me... maybe a bit too much sibilance coming off the overheads too? Might pull down some 1k and boost some lows on that piano. It suffered from really bad digital clipping which I tried to minimize but maybe I need to go further with it.

What did you find most challenging about this track?

Best,
Joe

The guitar was by far the most challenging track to deal with. I listened to both tracks (which were out of phase) and just picked the one with a little less drums. Then I chopped it up into separate tracks so I could eq (or reamp) each tone separately and grouped them all with one automated level and one automated reverb level. The group also has a low pass filter that cuts in when the drums start, multiband compression on upper mids to squash some of the snare, eq on the upper mids modulated from the snare track to pull even more snare out, and the input to the reverb is also modulated from the snare track. Somehow I managed to get 90% of the drums out of there.

For the piano, I just hit it with a bunch of saturation to smooth it out.
(18-12-2015, 12:21 AM)JB_LA Wrote: Thanks so much parnellij! I truly appreciate that you took the time to listen, especially thru the end haha. I just saw that you posted a mix of this so I am going to check it out now.

I listened to my mix in the car and the piano still really bothers me... maybe a bit too much sibilance coming off the overheads too? Might pull down some 1k and boost some lows on that piano. It suffered from really bad digital clipping which I tried to minimize but maybe I need to go further with it.

What did you find most challenging about this track?

Best,
Joe

I liked your mix a lot....and the piano sounds great to me. I had trouble with the piano track....I used some doubling to fill it up but it changed the sound quite a bit. It all kinda of worked out in the end but I like YOUR piano because it sounds natural....great job!

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek