Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Alone
My contribution... I didn't try to master it because I love the dynamics of this song, so just turn it up if you want to hear it Smile This is the first time I've really been happy with a mix I've done... we'll see if that holds true when I listen to it tomorrow.

.mp3    Not Alone.mp3 --  (Download: 15.81 MB)

This is a really good mix! The vocal sits perfectly against the bass and kit and you were very sparing with FX which is totally my style. I like how you got the guitar to really pronounce itself without being harsh. The only things that sticks out to me is maybe some kind of plate verb on the snare felt loud during the verses... specifically the low mids on it sort of pop. Great job though... mastering engineers would surely be happy with this one Smile
Nice, crisp mix.....nicely glued....great job! Sounds pretty loud even though not mastered as you pointed out. I love the vocal.....nice!

Tom
tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Thanks for the feedback. After listening with fresh ears, crisp is an understatement. When I was generally happy with the balance, I pulled up some music on YouTube for comparison and discovered the low mids had built up the top end was a bit dull. It's like boiling a frog in water, you never feel it happen. So I picked one song I thought sounded good to my tired ears and EQ'd the 2-bus to match. Guess I got a bit carried away with the high shelving EQ. I may revisit that snare again. My original thinking was high pass the overheads in the upper mid range and use a gate with a fast release on the snare for punch. I compressed the snare a bunch and tried to blend it back with the overheads, but it never sounded natural. I have a couple of other ideas I want to try.
(17-12-2015, 11:23 AM)parnellij Wrote: My contribution... I didn't try to master it because I love the dynamics of this song, so just turn it up if you want to hear it Smile This is the first time I've really been happy with a mix I've done... we'll see if that holds true when I listen to it tomorrow.

This is very nice. Hits the sweet spot in many places. Two comments to the negative: the keys get lost a little and there is a guitar line in unison with the Ow-Wows I would have liked to hear. However, those are minor points. This is a very sexy mix of this great song. Great job.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]