Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Is You Is Or Is You Ain't"
Feel like I've been meddling with this one long enough and not progressing any further. Not completely happy, still feel that there is some harshness with the 'phones and vox tracks that I can't resolve and I haven't been able to achieved a nice woody sounding punchy bass that I associate with this style of music. Didn't use any reference material as I didn't find anything suitable. I am only really familiar with older recordings from 40s-60s with the likes of Charlie Parker with hard panned saxophones mono drum and bass tracks in the centre and a piano panned left or right. Didn't seem suitable for this modern recording.
Dave. Cool

.mp3    Is You Is Or Is You Aint Spektakulatius.mp3 --  (Download: 7.82 MB)

Good mix! Very natural and clear. All the instruments and vox sounds great to me with nice balance.

Overall sound is a little bit thin. Bass is almost non-existent. Piano takes care of the bass lines now. But on the otherhand now it sounds very retro recording and I like it that way. It makes vox and horns really shine this way. Well, horns almost shine too much with their clarity. Maybe you were referring to that with "harshness".

I was listening with headphones and low volume level.

Drummer would probably want to hear more of that tom riff. But it does it job also this way.
Thanks Olli, You are so right about the bottom end. A cause of being over reactive when listening to the mix on multiple sources around the house I guess. Even my 12 yo daughter said it needed more bass (If only I listened lol). I have found a cd in my collection by Frank Bennett which I have now used for a tonal reference. I have reworked the two bass tracks and added some meat back into the 'phones. This style of music I definitely enjoy mixing and long to get better at. Thanks again, your comments are important to me.
Dave.

.mp3    Is You Is Or Is You Aint Spektakulatius #2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.82 MB)

Shortly, excellent! I end up listening the music, and forget to analyze...
Thanks Olli, I think i might have a go at the other couple of jazz songs Spektakulatius have allowed us to play with, will be sure check out your versions.
Dave
I'm glad to listen your version. As I don't follow so carefully these forums, do first your version, then drop a line to my mix. That way I'll know that there's your version for me to check out. (If I only get that notification email. It quite often happens that I don't receive it...)
Good work !
Second mix much better than the first one.
I like it, Dave !
Marce Morales
(15-08-2017, 02:36 AM)mmorales2412 Wrote: Good work !
Second mix much better than the first one.
I like it, Dave !

Thank you mmorales2412.
This is some of my favorite music to work with, so I appreciate your feedback.Big Grin

Dave

Solid mix! The best one I've found of this song after checking a number of threads.

The only issue I have with this mix is the overall frequency balance. It sounds a bit thin and too harsh in the high mids to me. My mix is the opposite. It's sounds very full and probably too dull. It would be nice to hear what you think of my mix Smile
(04-12-2020, 06:34 PM)Frej Wrote: Solid mix! The best one I've found of this song after checking a number of threads.

The only issue I have with this mix is the overall frequency balance. It sounds a bit thin and too harsh in the high mids to me. My mix is the opposite. It's sounds very full and probably too dull. It would be nice to hear what you think of my mix Smile

Thank you Frej,  yes you could be right the upper mids are a bit busy.  I find brass hard to balance.  Great track to mix though