Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"What i want" by The Brew - mixed by aikozin
Hello! I am the beginning sound engineer from Russia. I am the first time on your site and it is my first mix here.

P.S.: Sorry for my English.

.mp3    What I Want.mp3 --  (Download: 9.13 MB)

Please, rate my work. I'd like to hear some comments...
Greetings Aikozin

So many tracks to get through - its hard to listen to all of them - but thanks for 'bumping' your thread.
Something tells me that you have been mixing for a little while as this isn't too bad at all.

If I was to point to anything that could do with a little fixing (and I don't know what the original tracks are like in the zip file we're presented with), I'd say that the skinned drums, especially the tom drums, are a bit 'thin' - they're missing some of the low end fullness I'd normally expect to hear in this type of song.
This could be because the bass is overly loud in the mix and is not allowing the low end of these elements to be heard clearly...the kick is able to be perceived by the beater's impact, but, again, the 'thump' is being masked a little bit by the bass.
The times the toms are present without the bass, they do also seem to be missing their fullness (around 2:56)

One way of determining how loud the bass needs to be is to take it out completely, listen to the rest of the mix for about 16 bars then bring it back in again, and see where the other elements start getting masked. If the bass is making everything too muddy at a level where it seems to sit well, then its time to reach for the EQ and maybe the compressor to fix things up.

Hope this has helped you.

Dags

So many songs, so little time!
I find myself agreeing with what Dags is saying. There's something disconcerting about the stereo image too.... and this is probably because of the actual live performance positioning of the instruments (see the Electric Opera performance on Youtube). That may help in some way. This is actually a 'hard' mix to do compared to the other Telefunken sessions. I keep coming back to it and have never been really satisfied with my 'end-product'. Maybe I should just post it anyway. One tip I'd give, aikozin..... get all the FX taken off the mix and start from scratch. I think these are clouding matters and making your initial soundbalance harder to arrive at. Having said all that... I think for a beginning sound engineer, you're doing not too badly.... and your English is fine. It's my Russian that's the problem :o)