Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Take It Off (last attempt)
I think I've had enough of this one. Here's my last mix.

.mp3    Neon Hornet - Take It Off.mp3 --  (Download: 11.98 MB)

good balance between the tracks
the instruments are a bit too dark in comparison to the vocals for my taste
nice energy during the chorus
the backing vocals are a little distracting at times (2nd verse), you can either fix that with lower volume, or cut some of the top end on them so they sit behind the lead vocals
bass needs a bit more compression, some of the notes are getting lost.

nice work overall, keep it up
(29-12-2015, 01:47 AM)JClean17 Wrote: good balance between the tracks
the instruments are a bit too dark in comparison to the vocals for my taste
nice energy during the chorus
the backing vocals are a little distracting at times (2nd verse), you can either fix that with lower volume, or cut some of the top end on them so they sit behind the lead vocals
bass needs a bit more compression, some of the notes are getting lost.

nice work overall, keep it up

Thank you for the feedback. I may give song another go at some point (even though I got frustrated with this one as you can see from my attitude when posting). I'll keep your points in mind when I do.
The vox are really clashing with the guitars
Have you tried creating a small cut in the 1khz-3khz(ish) region in the guitars to help the vocals poke through a bit? I feel you're missing some lower mid reinforcement. Since the bass and drums are pretty one-levelled (dynamically speaking), they could fill that space and create a real driving force or anchor for the rest of the music to rest on.
(31-12-2015, 12:28 PM)takka360 Wrote: The vox are really clashing with the guitars

Yeah, the mids are just a mess. I mostly mixed this on basic consumer earbuds, so I'm the only one in the world who has heard this mix sound decent Smile The lesson here is you can't hear what's not there. I've since made a serious investment in some AKG cans. I'll be back. This song is not going to get the better of me.
(31-12-2015, 02:00 PM)tomtomtom1230 Wrote: Have you tried creating a small cut in the 1khz-3khz(ish) region in the guitars to help the vocals poke through a bit? I feel you're missing some lower mid reinforcement. Since the bass and drums are pretty one-levelled (dynamically speaking), they could fill that space and create a real driving force or anchor for the rest of the music to rest on.

I'll listen again, and keep your advice in mind. I think I'm going to scrap my original project and start fresh. This was my first attempt at creating a big wall of sound, and I succeeded in some respects, but mostly not. I learned a lot about what not to do on this mix, now it's time to do it right Smile
(31-12-2015, 10:37 PM)parnellij Wrote:
(31-12-2015, 02:00 PM)tomtomtom1230 Wrote: Have you tried creating a small cut in the 1khz-3khz(ish) region in the guitars to help the vocals poke through a bit? I feel you're missing some lower mid reinforcement. Since the bass and drums are pretty one-levelled (dynamically speaking), they could fill that space and create a real driving force or anchor for the rest of the music to rest on.

I'll listen again, and keep your advice in mind. I think I'm going to scrap my original project and start fresh. This was my first attempt at creating a big wall of sound, and I succeeded in some respects, but mostly not. I learned a lot about what not to do on this mix, now it's time to do it right Smile

On the contrary, I think you've made some good solid progress.

I've started again on my attempt too Smile You're not the only one that just needed to listen again afresh.

I look forward to hearing your next attempt. Remember to take plenty of breaks if you're mixing at volume - natural compression in One's ear is most definitely a thing and can steer a mix off course in a single afternoon. That's at least my biggest issue.
(31-12-2015, 10:30 PM)parnellij Wrote:
(31-12-2015, 12:28 PM)takka360 Wrote: The vox are really clashing with the guitars

Yeah, the mids are just a mess. I mostly mixed this on basic consumer earbuds, so I'm the only one in the world who has heard this mix sound decent Smile The lesson here is you can't hear what's not there. I've since made a serious investment in some AKG cans. I'll be back. This song is not going to get the better of me.

My experience with some AKG cans I had a little while ago was that I started mixing songs a little dark because I didn't allow a burn-in period. So just allow your own adjustment period with them since you will have to 'learn' them just like you've made adjustments to your mixes to cater for your earbuds.
(04-01-2016, 04:26 PM)tomtomtom1230 Wrote:
(31-12-2015, 10:30 PM)parnellij Wrote:

My experience with some AKG cans I had a little while ago was that I started mixing songs a little dark because I didn't allow a burn-in period. So just allow your own adjustment period with them since you will have to 'learn' them just like you've made adjustments to your mixes to cater for your earbuds.

Oooh yeah. I'm doing a lot of adjusting. These headphones have amazing detail in the higher frequencies, but when the low frequencies are that clean, they practically disappear. I'm so used to that compressed bass resonating inside my ear, that I keep piling on low end until it feels good. It's usually way too much. On the other hand, these headphones have instantly helped me dial in high end detail like never before. Hell, I can adjust phase between two mic sources by ear now. I'm sure in time these cans will be my best friend.