Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Take It Off Ripped Up
Something a bit different!

.mp3    NeonHornet_Take It Off Ripped Up.mp3 --  (Download: 11.54 MB)

Thought I'd revisit this one. First version was a macbook/earbud mix whilst away from home. I have put it through my main daw this time and tamed it down a bit. This is not a genre that I am familiar with or would normally listen to. That being said, I do like the song and am usually open to anything with driving guitar parts. The song is still smashed up somewhat, but thats just the flavour I wanted to give it.
Dave.

.mp3    NeonHornet_Take It Off Ripped Up Not So Much.mp3 --  (Download: 11.56 MB)

Try making a small 1.5dB-3dB cut in the guitars EQ and emphasising the high end of the vocals with a hi-pass-filter beginning from about 300Hz, and a shelf that adds +3dB from 5KHz (ish). That should help bring out the sheen in the vocals and make them poke through a little more because your mids are a little muddy. A challenging area for this mix is balancing the lower mids to get them to sound crystal clear; there's a lot of tom-drum action that collides directly with the upper bass and guitar parts. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the problem area for this mix is around 500Hz-800Hz.

A solid attempt mind you, and I really like your take of the intro.
tomtomtom1230, thanks for taking the time to comment, you are 100% correct and it does help to hear it from someone else. I did a lot of re amping (including the vocals) in this mix which pushed the mids through the roof. Listening back now sounds like I've got the bass guitar running a little hot as well! I know I have made some cuts around the 800Hz already so your definitely on the money. Will be sure to try out your suggestions on the individual tracks and see if I can clean it up somewhat.

Thanks again.