Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And here is mine
Hey Cassandra,

Pretty decent mix, but it is really hot (loud) overall. I'd bring down all of your faders just a few dB to get some more headroom, and relax the threshold a bit on your limiter as well. And Tom is correct about the release on the limiter. If you have it too short, you're still going to get overages. So instead of slamming the threshold on your limiter and increasing your release, try a setup of cascading compressors, from super fast attack and fast release to slow attack and slow release, aiming for just about 1-2 dB of gain reduction on each instance of the compressor. With your limiter at the end of the chain, keep the threshold at a more moderate level while also lengthening your release, and make sure your output gain isn't clipping the master buss. Also, I hear pops and clicks all over the place, so I think your buffer size may be too small. Try increasing it (it will add latency, but should not matter at all during mixing. If you were tracking, it would be a different story).

I'm not a huge fan of the sound of your kick for this style. Zeppelin or something like that, and that kick could really kill, but make sure you're listening in context of genre. Not to say you can't buck convention sometimes, but there is also a reason that genres are mixed a certain way most of the time. Also, I think your bass could be controlled a little more. Also what don said about your effects on the vox poking out too much, I second. They sound great, but I think it could be brought down 3-6 dB and it will be more effective.

I know you probably think I'm overly critical (based on a previous post) but I like your leveling and balancing with each other, and I think you really are close to a great sounding mix.

Thanks for your mixes, and contributing as much as you do to the mixes of others'!

Draper
Hey, disregard my statement about pops and clicks. . . they were totally on my end. Stupid audio drivers.
Bad bad audio drivers, shame on them :-) Interesting thought with a setup of cascading compressors. Will try that someday.
Thanks for listening, I'm pretty pleased myself so I won't go back and change now. But I'll keep your comments in my head for the future :-)

/C
Great mix Cassandra.. Keep it up Smile
(16-01-2016, 11:35 AM)Cassandra Wrote: Bad bad audio drivers, shame on them :-) Interesting thought with a setup of cascading compressors. Will try that someday.
Thanks for listening, I'm pretty pleased myself so I won't go back and change now. But I'll keep your comments in my head for the future :-)

/C

Cassandra, I got a kick out of what you said, "Bad bad audio drivers, shame on them :-)" ......made me laugh...made my day!!!!! Happy mixing.

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek