Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting to mix
(06-03-2016, 04:00 PM)Cassandra Wrote: Hello again :-)
Maybe I'll take another go one day, but for now I'm pleased with what I did. Still enjoy listening to my mix. Haha I maybe have bad taste or just used to this sound :-)

/C
And here I am years later in a bigger studio, with more experience, and a friend pointed this thread back out to me because they saw my name on it lol
My take on this mix now:
I hope the poster has gotten waaayyyy better than this because this isn't even up to standard by recording roughs when leaving the studio anywhere. Your mix processing is bad on this record and I can now see that you were right all those years ago, I was being too easy on you and this record. This mix is un-saveable and should be viewed as a fail because the record already had great-sounding tracks and the OP still found a way to butcher them. No. Start over is what I would tell anyone that would offer their talents as a mixer and put a dollar amount behind that.
I don't know where you enjoy listening to this mix but my advice this time around is you should listen to it in a better environment that will actually help you make better mix decisions.
(29-06-2022, 03:35 PM)illsoulprod Wrote:
Maybe I'll take another go one day, but for now I'm pleased with what I did. Still enjoy listening to my mix. Haha I maybe have bad taste or just used to this sound :-)

/C
And here I am years later in a bigger studio, with more experience, and a friend pointed this thread back out to me because they saw my name on it lol
My take on this mix now:
I hope the poster has gotten waaayyyy better than this because this isn't even up to standard by recording roughs when leaving the studio anywhere. Your mix processing is bad on this record and I can now see that you were right all those years ago, I was being too easy on you and this record. This mix is un-saveable and should be viewed as a fail because the record already had great-sounding tracks and the OP still found a way to butcher them. No. Start over is what I would tell anyone that would offer their talents as a mixer and put a dollar amount behind that.
I don't know where you enjoy listening to this mix but my advice this time around is you should listen to it in a better environment that will actually help you make better mix decisions.
I have to be honest, your reply doesn't seem that helpful and a bit pointless. Especially replying to a poster who hasn't been on the forum since 2018 and for a mix that is about 7 years old. It's a lot of wasted energy on your part.
(29-06-2022, 04:01 PM)roy Wrote:

/C
My take on this mix now:
I have to be honest, your reply doesn't seem that helpful and a bit pointless. Especially replying to a poster who hasn't been on the forum since 2018 and for a mix that is about 7 years old. It's a lot of wasted energy on your part.
Sorry but again I was directed here by a friend and helpful is really saying to start over as the mix sounds distorted throughout the track. Now I seem to remember before I was trying to be nice but as the years have passed I see that hasn't helped anyone so I hope this more direct approach is more helpful. And this was the lightest part of my day so don't worry, I've got plenty of energy to reply as AGAIN  Big Grin this wsas brought to my attention and I'm smiling the whole time I write this.
I mix records and you can hear them here
William Bowser Mixing Discography
Contact me directly to have me mix your records
[email protected]

/C
My take on this mix now:

Hi Illsoulprod!

On occasion, it does amaze me how some people decide to conduct themselves in a public forum, especially so when they are seemingly wishing to attract clients. Also amazing to comment on a thread started back in 2015 to do so.

I'd like to think a pro would be a little more supportive and understanding of the issues we all face at one time or another when we are learning how to mix.

Certainly I like to think that at least some of us strive to be a little more helpful and supportive around here.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Edit: Eh, mikej aside it better
Let's be very clear:
My critique on the mix has nothing to do with the person and if that is too harsh then too bad. We're adults and as such have to take criticism in all shapes and sizes as we progress and grow. Period. If someone doesn't like my assessment of the work that they put up then do something about it and do better. That's it. If you don't have any actual point your trying to make but interject yourself into our years-old. conversation then I don't know what else you want but a participation trophy.
Maybe you should do further research and see where this guy called me a fake all those years ago...you seriously should see why I said what I said and how I said it.
[email protected]
(29-06-2022, 04:12 PM)mikej Wrote:

/C
My take on this mix now:

Hi Illsoulprod!

On occasion, it does amaze me how some people decide to conduct themselves in a public forum, especially so when they are seemingly wishing to attract clients.  Also amazing to comment on a thread started back in 2015 to do so. 

I'd like to think a pro would be a little more supportive and understanding of the issues we all face at one time or another when we are learning how to mix.

Certainly I like to think that at least some of us strive to be a little more helpful and supportive around here.

Cheers!
Agreed but I kinda lost that when I was called a fake  Rolleyes as my personal work can be heard and judged anywhere if you like. What I say online I say to people's faces because
1. People take words online harsh
2. People deserve the truth so they can overcome adversity faster
[email protected]
(29-06-2022, 04:20 PM)illsoulprod Wrote:

/C
My take on this mix now:

Hi Illsoulprod!

On occasion, it does amaze me how some people decide to conduct themselves in a public forum, especially so when they are seemingly wishing to attract clients.  Also amazing to comment on a thread started back in 2015 to do so. 

Cheers!
Agreed but I kinda lost that when I was called a fake  Rolleyes as my personal work can be heard and judged anywhere if you like. What I say online I say to people's faces because
Looking through the thread that was several years ago. You were the one to dredge up this old thread and make it current. I get that you faced some criticism and your ego still seems to still sting from it. I get it. But the best advice is to just let it go and move on. For everyone's sake. Be a better example to the community and give helpful, technical, artful critiques. Some thing people can actually learn from. That would be the best for everyone. People do take online words harshly. If you know that then you should know that it's on you to word your posts that they could be more helpful. People do deserve the truth but doing so with ill intent does not help them overcome adversity.
And what about the mix did you enjoy compared to the original mix of this record if I may ask?
Because let's discuss it shall we?
When these stems were used to mix this record was the approved mix/master used as reference?
Were the quality standards that are associated with our industry used to finalize this mix before presenting it to the public?
Was this mix up to the standard of the artist and her brand as she continues to make music?

These are professional questions that you have to ask yourself as these are questions I have to ask myself every mix for every client every time and that is how professionals stays in business. Consistency. Not tolerating low standards when what you hear is released on a higher level and is held to higher standards. No, that's not how this works and my approach now has helped more people across the globe reach their goals than when I was holding people's hands.
[email protected]
(29-06-2022, 04:26 PM)roy Wrote:
(29-06-2022, 04:20 PM)illsoulprod Wrote:

/C
My take on this mix now:

Hi Illsoulprod!

Cheers!
Looking through the thread that was several years ago. You were the one to dredge up this old thread and make it current. I get that you faced some criticism and your ego still seems to still sting from it. I get it. But the best advice is to just let it go and move on. For everyone's sake. Be a better example to the community and give helpful, technical, artful critiques. Some thing people can actually learn from. That would be the best for everyone. People do take online words harshly. If you know that then you should know that it's on you to word your posts that they could be more helpful. People do deserve the truth but doing so with ill intent does not help them overcome adversity.
Fair enough.
[email protected]