Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help !
Hi guys. I'm a newbie and this is the first big band thing I mixed. I listened to some of your mixes and they are much better !!

I like my effort but it's not warm - - sounds like a lot of body is missing and I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Comments and criticisms please !!!!

thanks,
-gary

.mp3    Lindy_4.mp3 --  (Download: 8.18 MB)

.m4a    Lindy_Teardown_6_2.m4a --  (Download: 6.4 MB)

Hi Gary,

Overall I think your mix is not too bad, your brass arrangement and balance seems pretty good with nothing obvious sticking out and the overall room ambience sounds quite good and to my liking. I feel the drums are too quiet and buried within the mix. There seems to be a lacking of higher frequencies within the mix which may be a monitoring thing as I don't remember needing to emphasise these frequencies when mixing this track. Just watch for your lower mid bass build up through out using eq to carve out these unwanted frequencies in each of your tracks. I'm not sure of your approach to compression, but I find that brass requires very little compression. Maybe some bus compression and gentle levelling but of course everybody has a different idea on this and it has a lot to do with taste. Anyway I'm only a bit of a hack at this myself and only mix songs for fun as a hobby as time permits. Hopefully you will receive some additional comments and advise. Well Done.
Dave.
Hi Dangerous, thanks so much for the valuable feedback. I remixed with your ideas and it was a great improvement. Not all the way there in my opinion - still can't get it to sound like what I hear in my head, but a big difference. Thanks again !

(02-12-2015, 12:55 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hi Gary,

Overall I think your mix is not too bad, your brass arrangement and balance seems pretty good with nothing obvious sticking out and the overall room ambience sounds quite good and to my liking. I feel the drums are too quiet and buried within the mix. There seems to be a lacking of higher frequencies within the mix which may be a monitoring thing as I don't remember needing to emphasise these frequencies when mixing this track. Just watch for your lower mid bass build up through out using eq to carve out these unwanted frequencies in each of your tracks. I'm not sure of your approach to compression, but I find that brass requires very little compression. Maybe some bus compression and gentle levelling but of course everybody has a different idea on this and it has a lot to do with taste. Anyway I'm only a bit of a hack at this myself and only mix songs for fun as a hobby as time permits. Hopefully you will receive some additional comments and advise. Well Done.
Dave.

.m4a    Lindy_Teardown_6_2.m4a --  (Download: 6.4 MB)

Much improved Gary. Just watch the compressor you are using on the master it sound like it may be hitting a bit hard and the slow release is sucking some of the life out dynamics. Solo instruments are coming through a little hot, may want to drop them back a dB or two. From memory the room mics in this recording had a nice sound and I used their sound as the foundation for the song bringing up the faders of the close mics to get the desired sound, attack and ambience. Great Work.