Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first Country Mix
Hey,

really enjoyed mixing this one. Though I am am not that much into country and that kinda music I gave it a try ...
Tom

.mp3    MCB_MilkCowBlues.mp3 --  (Download: 3.13 MB)

Keep on rockin' but not in your chair :-)
Hi,not a bad mix of this as this is harder to make a good job of this than it sounds.
To my ears the guitar lead is a bit loud and maybe the fiddle.
it also sounds like the fiddle player cant make his mind up where he wants to be.
But overall good job
hi,

do you mean the dobro - if yes, I think so too. All in all when mixing I sometimes thought that there's too much going on at the same time ... I think the song could benefit from some mutes ...
what do you think?
thanx again for sharing your thoughts.
tom
Hi again,yes just do what you think is needed.I done that in a mix once where a fiddle and guitar was doing solos at the same time
so i just took the fiddle lead out it was far better i thought,some players just dont know when to shut up lol.
To my mind this is a sensible and a generally well equalized mix (I am listening on a pair of Fostex PM1 MKII's in a well sound treated room). The only thing that pokes out at me is a nasal frequency in the vocal (250 - 400 range?) that could do with notching out imo. The huge stereo image of the drum overheads are nicely reigned in to make the whole thing cohesive. If this was my mix i would add a touch of reverb to the fiddle to distinguish it in the mix a little - just my opinion.

Hope you don't mind a little criticism Smile
If i make a comment on your mix i would be very grateful if you said something about mine - all discussion leads to increasing all our knowledge! thanks lovely people :)
Bladerunner,

thanks for sharing your thoughts. I haven't done a second version yet and will remember your hints. Indeed, the voice sounds nasal. I thought it makes it even more country-like because I alwayas felt that female country-singers sound a little bit nasal (just kidding, I am german and not very used to listening country ...); btw. I have treated my room as good as I can but there a still some difficulties ... that's why it is really helpfull to know that the frequency spectrum is somehow OK :-)
fiddle - I'll give it a try and add a little bit more reverb.
btw.: I am currently thinking of doing a second version that sounds like the song is being played live in a club ... maybe ...
best
tom
hello !

Ho i just post my mix of this song and i realize i said the same as you cause i'm french and this makes me laugh. salut l'allemand . And good mix by the way! i can hear the nasal thing too in my headphones.
I've been away for a while on vacation in greece :-)
thanks for your comment; I will have a listen to my mix and check it again. nice to meet you here doncab (my collegue at work is a french too).
I am currently working on a project so there's not much time left for being here but will have a listen to your work this week ;-)
bye
tom

(11-06-2013, 11:31 PM)doncab Wrote: hello !

Ho i just post my mix of this song and i realize i said the same as you cause i'm french and this makes me laugh. salut l'allemand . And good mix by the way! i can hear the nasal thing too in my headphones.