Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleep By The Fire - Olli H
Totally strange genre to me. I was all the time struggling with compromises of how to preserve excitement without making it causing too much fatique. And at the end of the day I still have no idea what the target audience wants to hear. So I may have gone to totally wrong direction.

.mp3    sleep-2015-11-24-Olli-H.mp3 --  (Download: 7.51 MB)

Nice mix.like your low end. The bass is prominent but controlled.I had more kick in my own mix but I like this and your kick is still punchy.
as you know, I'm new to this genre like you; but I can hear if I like the mix or not. Good drums (even though I would have lowered a little bit the cymbals and hihats as a personal taste decision), controlled bass and the egtrs combine pretty well with the vocals.

So it might or it might not be good for the genre but I think that technically you've done it right.
mixing since April 2013
Thanks. I agree with the cymbals. I was fighting with them quite a lot. As I came to the limits of my skills I had to make a decision: EITHER some excitement with some fatique OR no fatique and dull.
You know, even with the cymbals (well, 'cept for the chorus where they just really slug you in the face), this isn't all that bad a mix. There are a few things that need to be cleaned up but it generally works.

Nice job, Olli.
Old West Audio
The bass guitar sounds like an upright bass, haha! That was a surprise in a good way.
Definitely a creative mix!
I like the cymbals. Sure, they sound a bit mid-heavier than a usual mix for that genre would have them, but I like different approaches and I don't feel uncomfortable while listening to your mix.
Keep it up!