Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forkupines - Sleep by the fire, bloom in water
Here's my mix. Comments will be welcomed as usual!!

.mp3    the Forkupines - Sleep.mp3 --  (Download: 7.58 MB)

mixing since April 2013
I guess this genre is as odd to you as it’s to me. So please take my comments as blind leading blind.

Normally you have balance pretty well, but in this case I think your frequency balance is not right. It sounds like some channels are in mute state. Your frequency spectrum has now holes.

I think the probelm is with bass. There's very little low end with bass. The kick is now alone there and feels a little separete from the rest of the band.

I guess the struggle in this kind of genre is that guitars should go quite low, and bass should go lower, but still they should not mask each other.

If you listen the chorus, the drummer clearly needs support for his little bit lazy riff. He concentrates very heavily to symbals which are not audible in your mix. So now those drums don’t drive the chorus alone properly. And in this case I guess that the from the point of view of arrange it's the speedy bass riff that should be filling those empty spaces that drummer leaves.

But if you fix that bass thing, your mix is probably pretty good - or ready - after that. I have nothing to complain about other stuff.
ooops!!! I had forgotten that I placed a high pass filter on the bass to check how its higher frequencies sounded and I left it on by mistake. Now I think it sounds better!

Sorry!! Blush

.mp3    the Forkupines - Sleep(2).mp3 --  (Download: 7.58 MB)

mixing since April 2013
I think it sound much better now. Now it feels balanced.

Nice dealys here and there.

For some reason it sounds quite mono although I clearly can hear it's stereo. On the other hand it's nicely focused sound. Maybe the thing that bothers me a bit is that there's not so much "near far" -differences. Everything is in the middle distance. But still it sounds good, so why bother about it....