Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lindy Hip Big Band's - The Opener - hundav mix
Low budget record? I hear the 70' authentic vibeSmile

My mix tries to be similar, with a little bit quiet drums ("early" wrong sound, but not to be audible at leastBig Grin), and with too much highs, but full with emotions.

Thanks!

.mp3    The Lindy Hip Big Band\'s - The Opener - hundav mix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.88 MB)

Budapest, Hungary - Studio One 3, Harrison mixbus, Cubase daw; Uad-2, Soundtoys, Brainworx plugins.
https://soundcloud.com/hundav
hi, just some quick notes as i'm passing thru...hope they help:

the sound stage isn't convincing, part of the problem stems from the depth field. for example, the piano is dry....too close and detached relative to the rest of the band (the illusion suggests it's not in the same performance space). given it's issues in the sound stage, i wouldn't make it wide because it's drawing even more attention to it. another example is the drum kit...some of the kit is set back, while other elements are right up close to the listener - ride cymbal especially (and it's pretty sharp in my headphones too). given that treble loses energy in air over distance.....this is one of the most important cues we humans employ to determine location/depth. if the treble contradicts the reverb emulation applied to an instrument, it's not going to sound right. it's a challenge to get the close mic's not to sound close, eh?

elements of the brass section needed some smoothing in the treble as they sound too digital and harsh; if you've got an analogue emu' like the PultecPro it can work wonders in combination with a decent tape emu.

i'd also keep the sub 120Hz or so out of your side channels as it's tending to muddy up the mix and make it heavy going in the headphones - feeding the bass into your stereo reverb is the likely culprit here; you needed to EQ the crud out of it. you might also want to back off the compression on the stereo buss; in my experience, this is rather hot for big band. this compression thing is probably not helping the harshness in the treble, i dare say Wink

i generally liked the main reverb over the mix though. what were you using, out of interest?

cheers,,

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Hi, thank you for your sights. You have truth in many things. I did not try to imitate the stage sound, only a cosy mixing I wanted to do it. I did not work sincerely too much with him. The cymbals - in truth loud. This the studer 800 (master bus) emu filter of causes it, on the other hand if I bought it below, not liked the rest of the parts of the mix - I came to terms with himSmile
The reverbs - on the mix a uad 140 plate, and on the master a few m7 bricasti conv. reverb from here (I recommend it to everybody if there is not much money):
http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-im...responses/

Thanks again, you were very thorough. Maybe, that I make it once more
cheers
Budapest, Hungary - Studio One 3, Harrison mixbus, Cubase daw; Uad-2, Soundtoys, Brainworx plugins.
https://soundcloud.com/hundav
(21-11-2015, 01:30 PM)hundav Wrote: I did not try to imitate the stage sound, only a cosy mixing I wanted to do it. I did not work sincerely too much with him. The cymbals - in truth loud. This the studer 800 (master bus) emu filter of causes it, on the other hand if I bought it below, not liked the rest of the parts of the mix - I came to terms with himSmile

cosy is cool.

i've never found the Studer to be polite enough on the master buss, but it works really well as the first insert in the chain on many things.

Quote:....on the master a few m7 bricasti conv. reverb from here (I recommend it to everybody if there is not much money):

ahhhh, the Bricasti! Big Grin

you made a good recommendation, +1 on that.

Quote:Thanks again, you were very thorough. Maybe, that I make it once more
cheers

you're welcome...i try to do my best Wink

laters,,,
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!