Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Angels In Amplifiers - I'm Alright (roadtrip, in car mixing challenge)
First of all, hi everybody!

This is my first ever post here so yea'!

A little brief to this mix:

I was on a roadtrip and wanted to give myself a challenge and try something new. My mission was to see how can I mix this song in the backseat of this sedan on a 3 hour noisy and pumpy trip using only a pair of headphones and basic stock Logic Pro X plugins that comes with it.
So my time was limited as much as my tools and mixing environment. Usually when I mix with headphones I have some reference tracks to keep 'specially the bass in control, but this time i didn't even have that, so this was a very unfamiliar mixing process. Of course that three hours i got wasn't enough so it's not polished, but I still want to share this mix for you to see how I accomplished this little task I gave to myself. So here you go!

Note: Only thing I did after the trip and before posting was that i used a limiter just to make the mix a little bit louder and more audible for you. I set the limiter so its not doing any attenuation, just volume boost. So this is an unmastered mix. Smile

I don't know if I'm going to get back to this and finish this someday since I have so much stuff to do, but at the end of the day this was fun and something new for me to do, to keep things interesting. I can fully recommend you guys to every now and then if you just have the time to try something way different than what you usually do. It's refreshing and you can even learn some new tricks when you are more limited than usually.

Thank you if you read this all!

- Ronnie

.mp3    Angels In Amp - I\'m Alright (roadtripmix).mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

(12-11-2015, 05:39 PM)ronniehiiri Wrote: First of all, hi everybody!

This is my first ever post here so yea'!

A little brief to this mix:

I was on a roadtrip and wanted to give myself a challenge and try something new. My mission was to see how can I mix this song in the backseat of this sedan on a 3 hour noisy and pumpy trip using only a pair of headphones and basic stock Logic Pro X plugins that comes with it.
So my time was limited as much as my tools and mixing environment. Usually when I mix with headphones I have some reference tracks to keep 'specially the bass in control, but this time i didn't even have that, so this was a very unfamiliar mixing process. Of course that three hours i got wasn't enough so it's not polished, but I still want to share this mix for you to see how I accomplished this little task I gave to myself. So here you go!

Note: Only thing I did after the trip and before posting was that i used a limiter just to make the mix a little bit louder and more audible for you. I set the limiter so its not doing any attenuation, just volume boost. So this is an unmastered mix. Smile

I don't know if I'm going to get back to this and finish this someday since I have so much stuff to do, but at the end of the day this was fun and something new for me to do, to keep things interesting. I can fully recommend you guys to every now and then if you just have the time to try something way different than what you usually do. It's refreshing and you can even learn some new tricks when you are more limited than usually.

Thank you if you read this all!

- Ronnie

Damn! Great mix, you really have a great sound going on there. The bass is really smooth and full but doesn't interfere with the kick which really gives this mix a very solid low end. The vocals have a nice pure sound to them, warm and rich but still present and forward with just the right amount of Reverb. The only problem I can hear is that the solo guitars are a touch low in the mix, more specifically the electric guitar. I would say automate the lead guitars up to the level of the lead vocal when the solo hits and add a touch more reverb to really fill it out.The snare could benefit from being higher in the mix and having some low end turned down 1.5-2 dB. The rest of the mix is spot on and really doesn't really need much polish at all. Killer job especially in your mix environment!
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(12-11-2015, 09:20 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Damn! Great mix, you really have a great sound going on there. The bass is really smooth and full but doesn't interfere with the kick which really gives this mix a very solid low end. The vocals have a nice pure sound to them, warm and rich but still present and forward with just the right amount of Reverb. The only problem I can hear is that the solo guitars are a touch low in the mix, more specifically the electric guitar. I would say automate the lead guitars up to the level of the lead vocal when the solo hits and add a touch more reverb to really fill it out.The snare could benefit from being higher in the mix and having some low end turned down 1.5-2 dB. The rest of the mix is spot on and really doesn't really need much polish at all. Killer job especially in your mix environment!

Hey!
Thanks for listening, nice to have feedback already! You're absolutely right about the lead guitars, I noticed that to myself also, when I listened this from my studio monitors back at home, but I didn't want to change anything after leaving the car. Smile And now that you mentioned, the snare is maybe a little bit mushy, or it is just now in my head since you said so. Tongue I'm also a big fan of low tuned snares, so might be a bad habit peeking its head out on that part of the mix. Big Grin Anyways again, thank you very much from your feedback and I'm glad you liked it! Smile

- Ronnie

Man, if this is done on headphones in a moving vehicle, I'd like to see what you can do with this in a proper studio. Nice work.
(15-11-2015, 07:47 PM)Leftcoast Wrote: Man, if this is done on headphones in a moving vehicle, I'd like to see what you can do with this in a proper studio. Nice work.

Thank you! Of course a better mixing environment gives a little better control of things, but this was still fun little thing I wanted to try. Smile

Sounds really good, however it seems to be missing some life, it sounds too dry. I would bring the overheads up a little bit. Also the electric guitars seems to be missing from the verse. Was that on purpose?

Cheers.
(17-11-2015, 12:50 AM)thetanks Wrote: Sounds really good, however it seems to be missing some life, it sounds too dry. I would bring the overheads up a little bit. Also the electric guitars seems to be missing from the verse. Was that on purpose?

Cheers.

Yeah, the electric guitar doesn't kick in until the first chorus just like percussions, I did that kind of editing a little bit to give this song more dynamics and nice build up towards the end, so listener doesn't get the same ''stuff'' from start to finish. I did this to keep the song interesting through the whole song, so on every section there is always something new or different, so a person that's listening doesn't get the whole song after the first verse and chorus but it keeps him/her interested to hear what's coming next. Smile

Thanks for listening and feedback!

- Ronnie