Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Intimate Vocal Mix
Hi All,

Here is my take on this mix.

The track suggested a Portishead / Massive Attack feel and I played a lot with the vocal texture and ambience - going all the way from claustrophobically dry to drenched swirling atmospheres...

Just tell me how close or far I am Tongue

.mp3    BrokenMan_mstMP3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.62 MB)

Successfully executed Smile Bringing in some delay & reverb into the bridge vocals makes a nice contrast to the dry intimate vocals in the rest of the song.

Maybe the the low and mid range sustained piano (piano 1 and 2 i think they are) chords could afford to come up a touch. They are the only instruments providing the musical backing to the voice and percussion. As I'm listening to the song I am wanting to hear them a little more.

But that's only a suggestion, the song as you have it is pretty good.

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
It's a good mix! I don't think I would call it particularly intimate. The first verse is pretty noisy in the drum kits, and going into the verse it's the same. Also, adding reverb reduces intimacy, and there's plenty of it on the first verse.

I think you could do some more to make the chorus open up more. The balances sound quite good. It's a sturdy bassy mix and stands up pretty well!