Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my first try, no need to be gentle about it
Hello all!

I'm so glad I found this place, I've been a musician for more than 20 years and now I'm trying to expand my horizons. I'm beginning to invest in my home studio (acoustic treatment, interface, monitors etc) and I've been learning as much as possible.
No need to "tip toe" around it, tell me like it is, so I can improve. I didn't automate at all in this mix, I'm aware of that.

Thanks in advance!

Marco

.mp3    Turkuaz Master 1-1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.26 MB)

I Like your mix , the drums are are poking out a touch on my monitors ,can hear some boxyness resonances on the kick somewhere around 130-200 hz area which maybe clashing with the bass in that area .
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

There aren't any unpleasant resonances on it for that type of sounding kick. Clashing is insignificant if any but the whole mix has too much distracting loud and relatively long transient sounds in the range from 2kHz-6kHz (dynamic range).
Vocal is too much in your face and there isn't any compression (if you don't want any compression or don't have any compressor then keep the vocal volume down with some reverb like SPX90 or ride the fader).
Intro might sound with too much proximity effect compared to rest of the mix and panning might be too wide for headphones considering the great amount of low frequency content on the guitar and keys (usually we tend to avoid too much stereo image on low frequencies if they cause dizziness or don't blend well enough with the rest of the mix).
Snare, again, too much proximity effect on high frequencies.
Thanks guys, great tips!!

I'll check the kick/bass relationship (I confess I didn't, my mistake).
Definitely, the vocals start too loud and later are buried in the mix, I should automate it (and the guitar solo, of course).
The excessive snappiness is probably excessive parallel compression on the snare (and maybe kick), I'll check it out.
I'll try automating the intro Eqs (cut a little of the low end just for the beginning to avoid the dizziness).

All great pointers!! I really appreciate it!
(10-11-2015, 07:11 PM)marquimsp Wrote: Thanks guys, great tips!!

I'll check the kick/bass relationship (I confess I didn't, my mistake).
Definitely, the vocals start too loud and later are buried in the mix, I should automate it (and the guitar solo, of course).
The excessive snappiness is probably excessive parallel compression on the snare (and maybe kick), I'll check it out.
I'll try automating the intro Eqs (cut a little of the low end just for the beginning to avoid the dizziness).

All great pointers!! I really appreciate it!

Well you could duplicate the tracks with subtle LPF filters and leave the low frequencies in the centre or slightly panned.