Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neon Hornet / take it off
Here's my mix. I had some problems with the low end and I think that I've managed to make it sound better than my first attempt. But after spending a few days working on it, I'm not sure that I've succeeded.

Let me know how can I improve the mix. Your comments and suggestions will be welcomed!

.mp3    Neon Hornet - Take It Off.mp3 --  (Download: 11.72 MB)

mixing since April 2013
I'm not familiar with these tracks yet, but I think you have worked a really nice grungy Seattle sound. Raw and sort of stripped back. There may be some lower mid issues with the drums (toms) but don't know that it's really a problem. Great raw guitar sounds and Vocals. Enjoyable mix to listen to.
Nice job mate,sounds a bit compressed but in a good way .
hey, thanks guys!! I was not too sure about my mix after spending more time than usual with that song. Too much time can make you alter your perspective... Smile
mixing since April 2013
Vox has nicely it's own space in your mix, but I think your guitars are too shy and suppressed. Somehow they are not near nor far. They are behind something, somewhere. I think this song wants to be ugly and dirty rock'n'roll, and in that process guitars might have a bigger role...

I agree with "Dangerous", something wrong with low mids of drums.
yes, you were right about the guitars. Now they are more present in the song as they should be. I've also checked the drums low mids. I hope it sounds better now Smile

.mp3    Neon Hornet - Take It Off(2).mp3 --  (Download: 11.72 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Much better now. Vox has still nice focus although guitars are louder and nearer.
I wonder if there's small phase issues with cybals. For example 1:25 and similar accent places.
Drums are a bit too muddy, definitely stuff you can cut out in the low mids
I cant hear the bass during the verse, i think you made it a bit too thin, there is no beef to it (Where's the beef?)
I think you did a good job with the vocals, good EQ and compression
This is a tricky one, dude. I think the main challenge is that the recordings themselves are a little sloppy (no criticism intended) timing-wise and need a good bit of editing for the beat to lock in. It's obviously meant to be pretty raw, but I think we can have raw and tight at the same time.

Maybe try a bit of distortion on the bass to get that beef JClean17 is talking about without losing presence.

Lots of times I find EQing the drums bussed together is the best solution for low mid issues. Maybe try EQing/compressing the bussed drums before trying to process the individual instruments so you're not losing cohesion when you trim the mids.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!