Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MerryGold - mixed on live sound console
I just stumbled across this site recently. What a terrific resource!

I bought a new mixer a few months ago (Yamaha TF1), making the switch finally from analog to digital. I have only had the chance to use it once for a live concert, so my purpose here was to multitrack to the board from my DAW in order to become familiar with the mixer in a stress free environment.

I used the DAW (Cubase 7) to trim just a few seconds at the start of the wav files, but otherwise all processing was done in the outboard mixer using channel EQ, instrument presets in some cases, compression and effects available on the input channels. Then I recorded the main LR Stereo outs to a HDD connected to a USB port on the board.

I was using Sennheiser HD380 headphones while mixing. Next step, I will try to better simulate live mixing by using PA speakers instead. It will be interesting to see how my current mix needs to be adjusted in response to high volume, room reflections, and a wide stereo field.

.mp3    Merrygold mix 11-05-15.mp3 --  (Download: 7.11 MB)

(06-11-2015, 02:01 PM)gdsmyth Wrote: I just stumbled across this site recently. What a terrific resource!

I bought a new mixer a few months ago (Yamaha TF1), making the switch finally from analog to digital. I have only had the chance to use it once for a live concert, so my purpose here was to multitrack to the board from my DAW in order to become familiar with the mixer in a stress free environment.

I used the DAW (Cubase 7) to trim just a few seconds at the start of the wav files, but otherwise all processing was done in the outboard mixer using channel EQ, instrument presets in some cases, compression and effects available on the input channels. Then I recorded the main LR Stereo outs to a HDD connected to a USB port on the board.

I was using Sennheiser HD380 headphones while mixing. Next step, I will try to better simulate live mixing by using PA speakers instead. It will be interesting to see how my current mix needs to be adjusted in response to high volume, room reflections, and a wide stereo field.

Hi gdsmyth,
I think as you monitor this mix elsewhere than on your HD380s, you will find the main vocal fairly far in the background. This is partly because the vocal track has a LOT of the instruments in it. This was a bit of a struggle for me, too, but you can listen to my mix and see that this vocal can be brought up out of the murk. (By the way: I'm a fan of the Sennheiser HD series, too, so after I put your mix through my studio monitors, I plugged in my HD280s and compared.)
If you listen to mine on your HD380s, you might find the upright bass to be an up front feature. In most systems, it will just be warm, but it becomes a feature on headsets with very significant low end extension. I actually like it as a feature because I love that upright, but for some tastes it might be a bit much.
Anyway, this will also demonstrate that the upright can be pulled up into the foreground, where it is far in the background in your mix.
I think if you find a way to bring that vocal up as a central feature of the mix, you will be able to get more balance in the whole picture.
Compression will be your friend on the BGV, too.
It sounds like you left out most or all of the room mics like I did. That brings more clarity to the whole thing. Due to the lack of good micing practices when this was recorded, the DIs were a big help. I think you found that out, too.
There is a clicking in the left channel in the first verse. If you search for the track with the click, you can get it out completely. It's not too hard once you find it.
I know it has a nice feel to mix with a real physical console - I have recorded that way, though I mostly use the console for live and do the studio work in the box now.
Please feel free to comment in my mix thread, too.
Hope this helps...
Walt
Walt, thank you for taking the time to listen to my mix and for your helpful comments.

After reading your feedback I listened to your mix (through HD380 headphones) and I was inspired by what you did there. I will post some comments over in your thread and try to be more specific, but basically I think that you achieved a clean natural sound, with a rock solid groove going all the way through, the vocal always to the forefront, and the busy melody instruments never distract from the groove they just add to the overall effect. Brilliant and well done.

No way can I recreate that, but I did go back and listen to my mix with a more critical ear this time. I listened to each track solo and noted where there was spill and what instruments exactly were making their way into unintended mics, then from there made some mix decisions that I think cleaned things up a bit, brought the OH mics down some more, brought bass and snare up out of the background and tried to make the lead vocal more prominent overall.

An updated MP3 is attached below.

I didn't attempt to fix that clicking yet. I need to get more familiar with my DAW first! Thank again.. Graham

.mp3    Merrygold mix take2 11-07-15.mp3 --  (Download: 8.93 MB)

(07-11-2015, 03:39 PM)gdsmyth Wrote: Walt, thank you for taking the time to listen to my mix and for your helpful comments.

After reading your feedback I listened to your mix (through HD380 headphones) and I was inspired by what you did there. I will post some comments over in your thread and try to be more specific, but basically I think that you achieved a clean natural sound, with a rock solid groove going all the way through, the vocal always to the forefront, and the busy melody instruments never distract from the groove they just add to the overall effect. Brilliant and well done.

No way can I recreate that, but I did go back and listen to my mix with a more critical ear this time. I listened to each track solo and noted where there was spill and what instruments exactly were making their way into unintended mics, then from there made some mix decisions that I think cleaned things up a bit, brought the OH mics down some more, brought bass and snare up out of the background and tried to make the lead vocal more prominent overall.

An updated MP3 is attached below.

I didn't attempt to fix that clicking yet. I need to get more familiar with my DAW first! Thank again.. Graham

Hey Graham - Significant improvement! Yes, these tracks are a great lesson in - If it don't fit, don't be afraid to throw it out.. Wink Dropping the OHs down was a good move. The vocal is up and more present. Nice natural sound. Yes, I think that vocal was about the biggest challenge with that one track being about half vocal and half instruments.

One other thing that you did that is a good move that few are talking about is that you didn't make it overly loud. You kept the dynamics available so that the chorus has somewhere to go - to rise up and bring emotion. I felt that was important, too. ...so don't let anyone tell you it should be much louder - that will kill the dynamics you have in this mix.

This version has much better balance overall,
Walt