Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rough mix - drums finished
hey guys just wanted to hear some feedback on my drum mixing. I haven't really gotten to far with the mix other than the drums, but feedback on other elements would be appreciated also!

(sorry for mp3)

.mp3    tip toe rough mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.67 MB)

The sound of drums in your mix is quite clean and natural for close miked drums but it's bit too emphasised (jumps out of the mix at times). Snare seems a bit too distant and rustling (it could stay as it is but it might need a bit more of some sparkle and some body).
I like the hammering sound of 60's style kick-drum (leaves a lot of space for other instruments and at the same time is distinctive enough).
Bass is a bit too upfront in the mix but I like the occasional distortion effect which can be heard on it.
Key track sounds a bit too thin and deatailed in the right ear compared to the guitar in the left ear.
Vocal reverb time seems a bit too long but the vocal kinda sits well in the mix despite being on the intelligible side.
Hi-hat has a natural ambient sound in it's own space and overheads aren't too loud or hissing.
There could be more lower end frequencies to give some depth to the whole mix but since kick drum is tight and punchy at the higher low end range (100Hz-150Hz) then it can ruin the whole balance and then it will sound like out of place (bass and kick might not work together).
Hey, thanks for the listen man! Some really good constructive criticism in there. Ill try dealing back a couple of the hi-pass eq's i have on those rhythm elements. I agree the bass is a little loud i just need to balance out my mid/sub bus's a bit better in the mix. I hear what you mean by the snare being distant, I kind of wanted to just emphasis the room sound on the kit and get a really big sound, i probably just need to dial back my parallel distortion/compression a bit. I did find that snare track to be tough to fatten out however. Ill see if i can come up with something. I think i might be able to get away with some more lower frequencies with a tiny bit of side chain comp on the low end maybe?

Anyways thanks for the feedback, ill see what i can do to get the rest of those instruments sparkling and post an update!

(06-11-2015, 10:22 PM)krashgotovac Wrote: Hey, thanks for the listen man! Some really good constructive criticism in there. Ill try dealing back a couple of the hi-pass eq's i have on those rhythm elements. I agree the bass is a little loud i just need to balance out my mid/sub bus's a bit better in the mix. I hear what you mean by the snare being distant, I kind of wanted to just emphasis the room sound on the kit and get a really big sound, i probably just need to dial back my parallel distortion/compression a bit. I did find that snare track to be tough to fatten out however. Ill see if i can come up with something. I think i might be able to get away with some more lower frequencies with a tiny bit of side chain comp on the low end maybe?

Anyways thanks for the feedback, ill see what i can do to get the rest of those instruments sparkling and post an update!

This is just a basic insight.
I had an idea at the beginning to make the mix in old school style with slight hard panning and mono reverb to give impression of a big stage with distinctively grouped instruments and maybe vintage distortion effect on a vocal but I'm not sure if it will fit this song and this style and if the raw tracks will be suitable for it without any reference or suggestion of a band.