Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schoolboy Fascination My Mix
Looking forward to listening to your critique.
This is the wav file:
https://soundcloud.com/katherine-kuznets...tion-katia

.mp3    Schoolboy_fascination_kuznetsova.mp3 --  (Download: 7.74 MB)

hey man,

good mix overall; no doubt.

hard to describe what bothers me a slight bit. maybe it is just too clean. I say that a lot around here when mixes are pretty much balanced, solid, with proper space achieved, yet when the impact isn't there. You nailed the mix Katia, but it has not power/heart.

Bring that power out, without making it so perfectly clean, and you've got it!

great job.
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

(01-11-2015, 05:28 AM)grizwalter Wrote: hey man,

good mix overall; no doubt.

hard to describe what bothers me a slight bit. maybe it is just too clean. I say that a lot around here when mixes are pretty much balanced, solid, with proper space achieved, yet when the impact isn't there. You nailed the mix Katia, but it has not power/heart.

Bring that power out, without making it so perfectly clean, and you've got it!

great job.

Dear grizwalter,
I appreciate a lot your comment and your time! I got what you say, and I did not think about it. It is like that story about Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', when Butch Vig did a polished mix and the band did not like it because it did not have that impact and "dirtiness". Instead of this, we hear much more aggressive mix by Andy Wallace on the album (and in this case I like the mix which is on the album rather than the polished one).

Since this song is definitely a pop song I assumed that it should sound polished (in real life or course I would contact the band and producer and ask about their vision). Actually I like to do polished mixes much more than "the wall of sound". I listened to Mike Senior's mix of this song, it sounds great, but definitely not my style. I do not like to cut all the mid range of instruments, and I like bgvs. I like to hear what instrument is playing what in a particular moment. In fact my mix sounds more like some Michael Buble's pop songs (Haven't Met You Yet, etc...)

I fixed balance a little bit yesterday: now it is less vocal and more piano and guitars, and piano is more mid-rangy. Sharing my final mix now...
Wav: https://soundcloud.com/katherine-kuznets...ion-final2

.mp3    Schoolboy_fascination_final2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.82 MB)

Hello Katia, I basically like the second mix you posted, though there are some things I don't like too much. For example, I think the main voice has to be quite a bit louder. Plus it really lacked reverb (in my opinion, especially the main voice). As grizwalter already mentioned, the rest all sounds very clean, and I think its all in all a great effort you made.