Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleep by the Fire,Bloom in Water TC mix 2
Hi,
I've managed to spend some decent amount of time mixing this with monitors instead of my first try which was done through headphones and dry.
This is just a follow up of my original idea of what may be too much special treatments on things. Especially the drums. It seemed nicer when I printed a bit lower than most here though.
It's been awhile since I started posting here again. I've spent much of that time upgrading my little studio, "The Cube" well, gotta call it something.

Anyway the big difference is in my final mix chain. If you can get a good look at my Avatar you'll see the new gear I'm using.

Just for the curious, I don't use any type of processing on the final 2bus out. I send that straight to the new Apogee Symphony, then into the Finalizer96k where I make a different preset for each mix and save them, (you never know), then into the classic little mini-me which is the reason I finally purchased it's big brother, this is all thru analog connections. Then it's digital back into my DAW where I record what I call a pre-master, which conatins all the great convertors doing their thing and the Finalizer doing the processing.
Whew! Smile

I'm really curious how the new set-up sounds, so all comments are a big help! Smile
Thanks,
TC

.m4a    By The Fire TC Mix 5_By The Fire TC Mix 5-3.1.m4a --  (Download: 7.74 MB)

Hi TC,
Listening to both your mixes I actually prefer the first mix, while both mixes are very distorted, the first mix has a better balance for the instruments. I think you have something with the lo fi approach to the mix but I think it should be done more to highlight a section to built up to the climax of the song rather than having the whole song be distorted and lo fi. The guitars and bass seem to really be fighting against each other and muddying up the low end of the mix, did you try hi passing the guitars? There is a lot of compressor artifacts present in the mix as well, when the chorus hits the cymbals seem to disappear because the compressor is just killing the transients of everything and just leaving sustain. With some refinement this could be a really interesting mix. Try using less compression overall and try to get some separation in the low end. Try leaving out the distortion and using it more for contrast than applying it to the whole mix. Keep working on it, there is definitely potential for a cool mix there!
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(30-10-2015, 02:56 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Hi TC,
Listening to both your mixes I actually prefer the first mix, while both mixes are very distorted, the first mix has a better balance for the instruments. I think you have something with the lo fi approach to the mix but I think it should be done more to highlight a section to built up to the climax of the song rather than having the whole song be distorted and lo fi. The guitars and bass seem to really be fighting against each other and muddying up the low end of the mix, did you try hi passing the guitars? There is a lot of compressor artifacts present in the mix as well, when the chorus hits the cymbals seem to disappear because the compressor is just killing the transients of everything and just leaving sustain. With some refinement this could be a really interesting mix. Try using less compression overall and try to get some separation in the low end. Try leaving out the distortion and using it more for contrast than applying it to the whole mix. Keep working on it, there is definitely potential for a cool mix there!

Well, what can I say, because I certainly can't argue with you. I'm trying to overcompensate for using the new gear too maybe. As for the overcompression, I just found out my Waves upgrade included this damned thing called the MV2. I thought it would sound coll not on the overall mix but just on the overheads. Balh, Blah, blah.
I hate leaving the house with my fly open don't you? Smile
I gots to be more careful and stop trying to impress myself with new toys. Thanks your input really helps : - )
TC
(30-10-2015, 04:57 PM)TChianit Wrote:

Well, what can I say, because I certainly can't argue with you. I'm trying to overcompensate for using the new gear too maybe. As for the overcompression, I just found out my Waves upgrade included this damned thing called the MV2. I thought it would sound coll not on the overall mix but just on the overheads. Balh, Blah, blah.
I gots to be more careful and stop trying to impress myself with new toys. Thanks your input really helps : - )
TC

No problem, I found myself in the same spot when I got the Variety of Sound Density Compressor and the Waves SSL Master Compressor, they are really great plugins. I tried MV once and I didn't really understand it so I went back to the L3 LL limiter and Limiter No 6 by vladg/sound because thats what I'm used to working on myself. I couldn't really tell what you were using monitoring wise but the setup does look good.Smile
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(30-10-2015, 05:57 PM)dcp10200 Wrote:

TC

No problem, I found myself in the same spot when I got the Variety of Sound Density Compressor and the Waves SSL Master Compressor, they are really great plugins. I tried MV once and I didn't really understand it so I went back to the L3 LL limiter and Limiter No 6 by vladg/sound because thats what I'm used to working on myself. I couldn't really tell what you were using monitoring wise but the setup does look good.Smile

Thanks,
I use three pair of near fields. The Mackie Hr8s, Ns10s, of course and the new cheapy JBL 8 inchers. Everybody loves that Limiter No6, I use it myself on B'vox sometimes. The MV2 is more like an expander for either your low end or your mid to top end, or both at the same time I think. It helped give a little stereo spread on the kit and left the bottom alone which I liked. Oh well, It was a freebie so that's what I get. Smile
Thanks again, gonna spend some time catching up on my listens. Drop me a link to yours so I can be embarassed. Smile
TC
Sorry to say, but first version is far much better! This one in general is to harsh and muffled. Please go back to the first one Smile
(30-10-2015, 06:08 PM)TChianit Wrote:
(30-10-2015, 05:57 PM)dcp10200 Wrote:

TC

Thanks,
I use three pair of near fields. The Mackie Hr8s, Ns10s, of course and the new cheapy JBL 8 inchers. Everybody loves that Limiter No6, I use it myself on B'vox sometimes. The MV2 is more like an expander for either your low end or your mid to top end, or both at the same time I think. It helped give a little stereo spread on the kit and left the bottom alone which I liked. Oh well, It was a freebie so that's what I get. Smile
Thanks again, gonna spend some time catching up on my listens. Drop me a link to yours so I can be embarassed. Smile
TC
http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=12538 here's the link to my mix. Nice setup man I've heard good things about those jbl monitors