Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Sleep By The Fire TC Dry mix
Hi,

It's been a while since I've posted her so forgive me for posting errors.

I really appreciated Till taking the time to prepare and share these tracks. Also for being brave enough to put his version up for all to compare to also.

This is a straight pass with just Eq's and compresion. I did however give in and threw Izotopes Trash 2 on the leads. I just love what that plug can do for anything!

Ok here we go,
Thansk for any listens, comments or directions to the old engineers home Smile

Oh and if I could type I would have put the correct spelling of my own damn name, it's Chianti not ChianitBlush

And to add insult to injury, I just uploaded my updated mix of this great song into the wrong website!HuhDodgy

So, hopefully this updated version will at least make me feel better about the miss match.

.mp3    By The Fire Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.18 MB)

.mp3    Sleep by the Fire TCMixbus mstr 1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.57 MB)

Hey nice mix. What I really, really like is a little bit pumping effect on verse (after 1st chorus) - reminds me a little RHCP. I haven't found that this part can be so interesting - I really like. There is really nice counterpoint action between guiatrs, bass and drums you exagerated. I like it.

There is audible compression or level mismatch bettwen pre chorus and chorus. Chorus for me should be louder, stronger and bigger.
I don't like vocal sound. End of chorus guitars: is it compression choking?

(30-10-2015, 06:49 PM)konop_tnt Wrote: Hey nice mix. What I really, really like is a little bit pumping effect on verse (after 1st chorus) - reminds me a little RHCP. I haven't found that this part can be so interesting - I really like. There is really nice counterpoint action between guiatrs, bass and drums you exagerated. I like it.

There is audible compression or level mismatch bettwen pre chorus and chorus. Chorus for me should be louder, stronger and bigger.
I don't like vocal sound. End of chorus guitars: is it compression choking?

Hi,
Thanks for taking the time for a critical listen.
When you say level mismatch or compression are you talking about the guitars? Should they be bigger? I have to check to see how or if they're compressed. Thanks for the comments. My second try didn't work out too well. Everybody agree's that this mix is better, "Less is more". Smile
So it's a good thing I saved each one differently.
: - )
TC
I'm talking about whole mix. When chorus starts everything chokes.
(30-10-2015, 10:44 PM)konop_tnt Wrote: I'm talking about whole mix. When chorus starts everything chokes.

Thanks I think i have a better understanding from your comments and when I redo this version of the mix ( my second try sort of just fell too flat), I'll keep a better ear on total top to bottom consistancy. Smile
And I listened to your mix again and it still sounds great even after listening to a bunch of other mixes.
Great work! Smile
TC
Hey Tom, sorry mate but this suffers from the same problems as the original, way over compressed and pretty brutal on the ears tbh. First thing I did was turn it down. The tracks were mostly already crushed so not a lot of point compressing stuff again, and the gtrs need a lot of work, there's just so much harshness in those tracks in the first place, pretty much unusable really. Sorry to be negative, but I know you value honest opinion, I can only suggest uncompressing everything and start taming the gtrs. Also found the original room and overheads tracks were useless too, just crushed and fizzy so you could look at them too. Ended up using samples for the crashes myself. Normally a fan of distorted vocs, and not saying yours dont sound ok, its just that in a track like this there's so much going on in that upper mid frequency already, I'm not sure that the saturation is helping any. And please keep in mind I just spent 2 days mixing the song myself so probably more than over it. Thought your last mix on WV was excellent btw, dunno if you saw my comment, but if you can do stuff as good as that then its obvious this one could be a lot better. Stu.
Thanks,
You're right if it aint honest it doesn't help. Smile I'm re-working th whole mix from scratch. I mean, now that I know you'rehere, I have to dress to impress. The mix bothered me so much I re-arranged my monitors back to their original postions. Boy does that help! Smile At least there's nowhere to go but up. Always the optimist! Smile
I really do appreciate the comments.
TC
(01-11-2015, 09:48 AM)manuke Wrote: Hey Tom, sorry mate but this suffers from the same problems as the original, way over compressed and pretty brutal on the ears tbh. First thing I did was turn it down. The tracks were mostly already crushed so not a lot of point compressing stuff again, and the gtrs need a lot of work, there's just so much harshness in those tracks in the first place, pretty much unusable really. Sorry to be negative, but I know you value honest opinion, I can only suggest uncompressing everything and start taming the gtrs. Also found the original room and overheads tracks were useless too, just crushed and fizzy so you could look at them too. Ended up using samples for the crashes myself. Normally a fan of distorted vocs, and not saying yours dont sound ok, its just that in a track like this there's so much going on in that upper mid frequency already, I'm not sure that the saturation is helping any. And please keep in mind I just spent 2 days mixing the song myself so probably more than over it. Thought your last mix on WV was excellent btw, dunno if you saw my comment, but if you can do stuff as good as that then its obvious this one could be a lot better. Stu.

Hi,
Well I took everyone's opinions and included my own and updated the entire mix, re-working back from the original to stop all bad things. I hope it worked. Thanks again for your pointers Smile
(01-11-2015, 05:18 AM)TChianit Wrote:
(30-10-2015, 10:44 PM)konop_tnt Wrote: I'm talking about whole mix. When chorus starts everything chokes.

Thanks I think i have a better understanding from your comments and when I redo this version of the mix ( my second try sort of just fell too flat), I'll keep a better ear on total top to bottom consistancy. Smile
And I listened to your mix again and it still sounds great even after listening to a bunch of other mixes.
Great work! Smile
TC

Hi again,
I've taken your comments and athers and tried to fix the mix. This second take of the dry mix I think is much better, I hope you do too.
TC
Hi hat and OH are very bright /thin and loud, so in total it sticks out from mix. The rest very distant and dark. 1st version is better Smile