Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Matterplay - (BoB TalkShow Mix)
Hello.
Hope my mix does the song justice.
Any questions and opinions welcome.

James
London

.mp3    Malenky Slovos - Matterplay - (BoB TalkShow Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 7.5 MB)

Hello !

No singing in the first chorus ? Yeah why not !
The snare 'down' is maybe too present and the back vocals in the second chorus not enough for my tastes.

I'd put the "funky" guitar in the verse more in the back but these are tastes.

Though, good mix !
I like your guitars processing, did you reamp it ?
(29-10-2015, 03:12 PM)Tuyop Wrote: Hello !

No singing in the first chorus ? Yeah why not !
The snare 'down' is maybe too present and the back vocals in the second chorus not enough for my tastes.

I'd put the "funky" guitar in the verse more in the back but these are tastes.

Though, good mix !
I like your guitars processing, did you reamp it ?

Hello mate. Cheers for listening.
The choice of no Vocals during first Chorus felt good going into the Break/Solo, like an instrumental Break as a whole. Felt good to me so it was processed that way. The Snare Down Mic is a fundamental part of a Snare Drum, it captures more of the wires which make the sound of a Snare what it is. I wanted to process the kit like standing right behind it in a Live setting. But I know what you mean.
The Guitars were processed with EQ and Compression and a dash of Reverb. That's it. The only Guitar Re-Amped was the 'Funky' one you refere to.
The Backing Vocals I admit need raising in the mix. I agree. But I didn't want a cacophony of voices fighting for attention. Wanted the Guitars to take over the Chorus. Like I said, thanks for listening Tuyop.
James.
London
Good stuff. It's just that your overall master sound, in my opinion, lacks some lower mids, or the mud frequencies. Maybe you've cleaned them too much? Smile
(01-11-2015, 11:11 PM)kapu Wrote: Good stuff. It's just that your overall master sound, in my opinion, lacks some lower mids, or the mud frequencies. Maybe you've cleaned them too much? Smile

Okay. I guess you can't polish a turd then. You learn something every day. Only joking.
I like the song. Like the band too. But I don't get the 'Official' Mix they put out as a taster. Think it's awful. Like driving through a car wash with your head stuck up a Hippos arse while it's giving birth.
I might refine it. I don't know. Not enough feedback to make it worthwhile.
Before I forget, try the 'Remember December - CU Next Time' multi-tracks. Not a bad tune either.
Cheers for listening Kapu.
James
wow james.. I'm checking only sporadically and didn't see you uploaded your own mix. Will give it a proper listen soon...
Just curious.. what's troubling you so much in the official mix?
cheers,
Andrea

(02-11-2015, 07:39 PM)James Cullis Wrote:
(01-11-2015, 11:11 PM)kapu Wrote: Good stuff. It's just that your overall master sound, in my opinion, lacks some lower mids, or the mud frequencies. Maybe you've cleaned them too much? Smile

Okay. I guess you can't polish a turd then. You learn something every day. Only joking.
I like the song. Like the band too. But I don't get the 'Official' Mix they put out as a taster. Think it's awful. Like driving through a car wash with your head stuck up a Hippos arse while it's giving birth.
I might refine it. I don't know. Not enough feedback to make it worthwhile.
Before I forget, try the 'Remember December - CU Next Time' multi-tracks. Not a bad tune either.
Cheers for listening Kapu.
James

Ok. I've listened to both versions... like the second one more.. (in a way, though.. our original arrangement had no "call" vox on the first chorus, just the "response" one (time to wake up) so your first approach with a voiceless first chorus didn't catch me completely off guard.
Anyway.. I really appreciate this wholly alternative "saveage guitars in your face" approach. The official mix is very "ambient-ish" at times and bass-driven on the chorus. Hearing all the highs from guitars back in full attack was a pleasant change.
i also appreciate the alternate "bridge" take with vox from chorus reused ingeniously...
so.. a really interesting mix for me .. maybe guitars on verse are a bit too abrasive/high for my tastes .. also with the strong panning you've set.
(though I love the extreme flanger on the palm muted bit)
so, thanks for tackling Matterplay James Smile
A
Cheers for taking time out to listen Andrea.
Song has potential. A lot. Was trying to make it edgy for an Indie feel. The Guitars are great, sound good. Well played throughout. Vocals are like Nosferatu fronting a rock band, seedy and perverted. That's the way I wanted to go. I am working on it from fresh at the moment, in between other mixes and will hopefully do it justice.
It isnt as simple as slapping an EQ and Compressor on the channels. A lot of editing of the multitracks and cleaning them up, along with reorganising the audio. Resampling and overdubs of parts of the Drums. Think I rushed it with the two mixes I done. Wanted to get it out there. But experience of learning by mistakes is what its all about. Think I can nail it. Give me a week to mix it properly.
In relation to the Official mix. My personal opinion is it sounds like it's in a fish tank, or as I put it, up a Hippos arse..ha ha. It was a bit harsh I admit. But seeing as it was mixed by Mike Senior, who I've never heard of by the way, having even listened to some of the albums he's supposedly worked on, I thought it was too flabby and hard to concentrate on any given part, like hearing it on a bad trip. Everything gets lost. Maybe thats what he was going for. I dont know. Them Guitars drive the chorus and so they should. Haven't heard another mix that pushes them upfront. This is Rock not the Sugar babes. Ha ha ha.
Anyways, take it easy. Gimme a week to get it right.
Cheers
James, London