Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semantics - AZ Mix
Okay folks,

Here's my take on this neat little tune. Well written, pretty well assembled, decently recorded and all around a pretty good listen.

Problems I ran into...

1) The toms are very clicky and that makes them a little too stand-outish. Also, the low tom is mistuned. The kick drum is down about 32 hz. The low tom is at ~75. Didn't fit. So I used drumagog to find a suitable replacement sound and tuned it down to ~65. Sounded much better.

2) Considerable phasing in the overheads. Mostly solved by a steep low cut at about 500hz (All we care about there are the cymbals, so...)

3) A bit of phasiness in the EG1 and EG11 parts towards the end. MOSTLY solved by pitch shifting a couple of the parts and delaying EG11 by 3-4ms. Not actually sure a certain part of that wasn't deliberate. Seems like the kind of group that would hear that and say, "Hey, that's cool! Leave that in!"

4) The vocals were hard to handle. The lead by itself kinda doesn't want to fit and the harmony when the first group comes in (to me, at least) kinda feels like it's better off being taken down the hall and stuffed in a closet rather than included in this specific tune but it also works in a way.

Note that my habbit is to not listen to other mixes or even the posted preview mix before I work. Trying to make sure I don't just duplicate someone else's ideas but also trying to see how well I handle the music without a reference apart from my own experience.

You can tell when a tune is coming together when instead of trying to figure out how to get X to go with Y, you start playing it because you want to listen to it and you start hearing the more subtle things to deal with to clean it up and bring power to it. That happened to me about 6 hours into this one. Good fun, that!

Anyway, let me know what you think.

(This is now the 22nd tune I've mixed on this site. Between the my day gig and the rest of my life, I seem to have averaged one every 3 weeks, about. Hopefully I'm getting a lot better and I have a queue of other multitracks waiting for my attention.)

.mp3    semantics-mixdown.mp3 --  (Download: 10.32 MB)

Old West Audio
Just realized that I left a trim knob in the wrong spot after some evaluations. That left the vocals higher than they should have been. Also figured out a conflict between my bus automation and send location that was screwing a couple of things up and also took the excuse to tame a couple of explosive downbeats. (oops.) The mp3 file has been replaced with the right version.
Old West Audio
Hi azwayne,

I really liked your mix.
But, yeah there's always a butt, the guitars L/R balance isn't always the same even though I did like the blend you gott. The b'vox is always a little left side heavy.
I really did like the way you've made the mix interesting by little change-ups. Sometimes it's the guitar effect and then there's a few nice vocal effects going on.
Great work.
TC
Haha, producer of the original mix here. The tom sounds are samples from superior drummer 2 Tongue
But you're right, I wasn't happy with the drum sounds.