Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What have you done to me_MIX
Hi,

My name is Thomas.
I'm new on this forum so this is my first mix.
I have choose Signe Jakobsen- What have you done to me.

In my opinion i thought this was a hard song to mix because of some elements who was badly recorded. But i have tried the best i can to make it sound good. Smile

I would be happy for feedback Smile

Okay, so here is what i have done mixing this track.
1: The first thing i always do is to import the track and make a rough mix just to listen how its sound with all the raw track.
Im cleaning all useless noise ( breathe-guitarnoise-etc...)

2:Then I always starts with the drum. In this case i was replacing the Kick and the snare with my own samples. because the kick was flamming and the snare didnt fill out in the mix and was to much blending from the other drums.

I have used all drum track including the tom track to make a more roomy sound.

The singel drum track is not so heavy compressed but i make a aux track to send the whole drumtrack for compressing hardly and blend it together with the original.
No FX to the kit.

3: then i take the bass guitar, nothing special with this. A CLA bass plugin and some some EQ and then a comp. It was difficult to get the bass sounding good so i dont push it to hard in the mix. I have done some parallel compress in the chorus with bass and kick to make the kick make trough.

4: Guitars. I removed the intro fuzzy guitar and start the song where the clean guitars and vocal starts.
I didnt like the other melody leadguitar from the chorus so i didnt used that ether Undecided
A little bit of compression on all guitars and some EQ thing. nothing special. Yeah and a line 6 pod farm spring reverb to make it more natural.

5: Nothing special with the keys. A little bit of EQ.

6: vocals. So many things here!! I dont remember but i didnt used all the vocalstrack here. Trying to get the lead the best i can and then filled it out with the choir. Vocals is difficult! Please give me some advice here. I used a LA3 and a little bit of EQ, one reverb and 2 delays. Not shure if its to hard in the mix. Let me know Smile

7: Have done some volume and fx automation on all of the tracks before printing the final tracks.

8: used a oxford limiter at the final.

Please give me feedback or message me for any questions.

.mp3    What have you done to me_limit16.mp3 --  (Download: 6.11 MB)

Welcome here Thomas.

Well, if i may ... and before making a objective critic to your mix, i would turn you limiter off.
It squeezes the dynamic so much i'm not even sure i would listen to the same song without it ! (listen the end of the song carefuly, at low volume : when drums stop, the level is exactly the same, even louder ... ! I wouldn't expect this Smile Let the bad radios squeeze and limit and destroy your mixes...

What i can be sure of, it the sound of your kick and snare, which are good .... taken out of the context. They really make a strange and not homogenic kit at all. It sounds like electronic drums and i'm not sure such a pop/rock song is in adequation with that sort of sound. It's like too much processed. It seems you have lot of plugins, but also like you overuse them.

Would you be kind enough to post the same mix but without limiter on the 2-bus ?

And welcome again. and sorry for my little harsh point of view, but aren't we all here to progress ? Smile

Cheers from France
Hi Xabix,
I wanted to participate this forum to learn more about mixing and i'm glad for your feedback, i appreciate it Smile

Heres a new track without limiter.
I was trying to get some headroom, just to learn to mix the track and prepare it for mastering. (not that i was trying to mastered it) Tongue
So the limiter was only used for making it sounds more "mastered"
I think i have 6db of headroom.

Please give me feedback to this one.

I can tell you exactly my choose for EQ and comp the next time.

Again i think this mix maybe is a hard one to start with, it would be great to heard this song being mixed from a pro.

Cheers Smile

.mp3    What have you done to me_no_limit.mp3 --  (Download: 6.11 MB)