Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neon Hornet: Take it off_DLR
(21-11-2015, 01:39 AM)DLR Wrote: So, thnx for very technical analysis, but since English is not my first language, I have to read this few more time to fully understand what you said. Smile

you got the general understanding very well, so well done!

Quote:In this case I was just rec/mix ing. not a producer, so I didn't want to get involved in that part. The band was "alfa and omega", so they wanted song to be structured this way, although I would make few changes in arr.

agreed. sometimes though, a band might not be aware of the problem they are creating for the audience.....or even the mixing engineer, especially if they don't understand mixing and the "science of audio".

Quote:Vocal is raw recording without any processing, and I didn't use Autotune or any kind of tune plugins in my mix too. It's just the way that singer sings :-)

thanks for this info, it was important for me. i'll go back and have a more detailed listen to the vocal track. i'm not often thrown off course on Autotune artifacts. so i'm wondering perhaps if i was hearing something from the signal chain or the way the mic was set up. could be any number of things, really. i'm now really inquisitive.

again, thanks for the note Wink

Quote:Guitars are bit "dark" cause overall feeling of the song, and, on the other hand, if they were brighter it would come up with out of tune caused by playing with lighter (instead of slider) and not so great performance of the player. It could be less muddy though.

it's the L/R panning that's the problem in your mix (bright one side, darker on the other)...but it's the arrangement that suggests this placement. maybe you should have produced it Big Grin Next time, yeah???

why not Haas the gtrs? it would make a stronger, more powerful presentation in stereo, it would help both ears get to hear each guitar instead of only one in headphones, and it could help towards overcoming the spectral imbalance.

note however, that Haas is going to be more of a problem in mono. personally though, i think Haas makes a better compromise.

Quote:Thnx for listening and very detailed comment Smile

you're welcome. keep up the great job.

vidimo se
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
I guess you're right about haas. But, after all, the band was (is) satisfied, so that is the most important :-)

hvala, pozdrav!
Smile
(22-11-2015, 10:44 PM)DLR Wrote: I guess you're right about haas. But, after all, the band was (is) satisfied, so that is the most important :-)

yes, customer satisfaction is the goal. however, who is the final customer? is it the audience? would they be satisfied with fatiguing audio?

my idea is that we, as knowledgable audio technicians, have the possibility (and even the responsibility) to offer impartial advice to the band where their skill-set is not sufficiently developed, so the right action can be taken.

keep safe Wink
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Hell, we are not doctors and we are not obligate to Corpus Hipocraticum, but, ofcourse, we have to give our best at given moment to make records as best as we can. It could always be better. Even the best sounding mix in the world could be better after some time. Even after two days of finishing with mix.

So, after all, I don't know do you want to say that I did lousy mix or something. 'cause I never told that this is the best mix in the world.. but the band liked it, I liked it, so we are going on with another song, with new experience. Both - the band and I Smile

Thanks.Good song.Well recorded.
Hi DLR,
nice recording, really glad that you not over-process or tune something.
Keep up the good work
if you have time give a listen to my mix

Regards!
The mix sound ok,The_Metallurgist never has a good word to say just does remixes to a grid and makes stuff his own .Not even done a mix himself?
Keep up the good work .Well done
I quite like this mix, good job DLR and thanks to yourself and the band for giving us access to the project. My only suggestion with this mix would be to high pass everything at around 35hz because there is a bit of undefined low-end rumble there. Maybe fatten up the snare a little, but aside from that, really nice mix.

Cheers,
Mick
(20-12-2015, 12:02 AM)takka360 Wrote: The_Metallurgist never has a good word to say

I would disagree with that, he seems to have given a lot of advice to DLR, who has taken it on board as constructive criticism (as opposed to malicious, that is).

After all, isn't that the point of having your mixes critiqued?
I really like this mix and have used it as a sort of benchmark from the beginning. Definitely a tough multi to mix, so hats off to everyone who achieved a sound and vibe they were happy with. Certainly a mix that I struggled with.Rolleyes