Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
"Sleep By The Fire, Bloom In Water"
it's not complicated. the higher the rate of compression, the greater the data loss. so, when you tell your mp3/lossy codec to "compress" to 128kbps, it's removing a lot more bass, treble, and stereo information, as well as spectral information immediately to the sides of "key frequencies" but it does so without skewing the spectral balance i.e. the ear is unable to discern frequencies immediately beside other frequencies; eg focusing on a 1000Hz frequency only in a song, the codec will remove 999Hz and 1001Hz, for illustrative purposes. higher data reduction means more stuff is removed from your original file. if your original mix is poorly produced, the mp3 will possibly sound better to your ears because of the psychoacoustic effect it's having on your brain.

so, your mp3 sounds better to you perhaps, because it's removed bass, removed treble (128kbps applies a steep hi-cut from 16,000Hz, a 320kbps doesn't), EQ'd better than you, and made it sound more mono by removing/thinning a lot of spectral material from the sides. ambiance is also lost in the process, by the way.

it is possible to "link" to a wav file. i was the first in the forum to do so, i believe. so others have followed using various other services. i'd check out soundcloud, but MAKE SURE WE CAN DOWNLOAD IT. AND, PLEASE MAKE SURE IT'S >>FLAC<< [caps for emphasis]. this forum doesn't allow wav uploads simply because of bandwidth pressures and constraints.

a point worth noting::::
not many can tell the difference in A/B'ing between wav and 320kbps mp3 (or other competing lossy formats), especially here in the forum, principally because of conditioning themselves to lossy - it's formed their "TERMS OF REFERENCE"! however, if you learn how the codec's algorithm works, it's possible to train your brain through critical listening development, to hear the artifacts. the trouble is, if you do so, you will never be able to listen to an mp3 again! "ignorance is bliss", as they say. it helps, during the A/B, to have decent audio gear or headphones; the crappier the gear, the harder it is to discern.

also note that every mp3 algorithm works differently to the next in what it removes/compresses, so it's not equal.

TIP:: incidentally, 128kbps files can sound a little harsh to the ear. this can be an advantage to kids turned on by harshness/distortion, especially if it's of a song that is rough and ready like punk. digressing, back in the 70's punk era, professional studios were often challenged in getting a punk sound because of the quality of the recording's signal chain. i was at a PIL (Public Image Ltd) concert last week....fantastic mixing; best live gig i've ever heard, quality wise.

so, perhaps from your comments, it suggests you need to work your mix better? he says, with tongue firmly embedded in cheek Big Grin
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!