Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Opener
I'm not a fan of a lot of compression on jazz tracks so the only place that I have used compression is on the bass track and just a little bit of compression on the mix bus to bring everything together.

I gated the kick and the snare and also added some room reverb to all of the drums.

The saxes, trumpets, and trombones all have a bit of room reverb on them as well to add some additional presence. I also tweaked the EQ of the trumpets and saxes as I found that each was a little flat sounding to me.

The only other tweak was to widen the drums since they sat right in the middle which I didn't think was very interesting.

This was a fun project as I used to gig out in big bands.

I hope you enjoy the mix.

.mp3    The Opener.mp3 --  (Download: 5.86 MB)

A very nice mix, the drums sound great, your stereo picture is excellent.
Could I suggest using a Hall type reverb, just a touch!

Thanks for taking the time to do the mix.

Hi
Great live feel but it does need a bit of ambience reverb and bit of balancing of the sections when it is their time to come to the front. Not sure about the slapback on the snare but overall a great balance to the mix

Memphis
Rock n Roll Man in a Digital Age

Ice-16 Interface/Cubase Artist 8/Lenovo I5 quad/X2442/Fender Telecasters/Fender Hot rod, Champ, Junior/ M-Track Interface/
Another version. Changed the balance of the horns a bit and tried to level things out a bit more. Also added some more ambiance to the master bus. It feels a bit more like a concert to me.

.mp3    The Opener v2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.86 MB)

It is very nice overall, but a bit more automation to highlight the important parts mights be nice. Also the bass could be a bit more prominent