Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SpedeMix for a change
Hi everybody!

I haven't been exactly active here lately, mainly because nowadays I'm mainly preoccupied with "real" projects IRL. Anyway I liked the song so I decided to carve some time for conducting a mix from this one.

The most challenging track here was the bass track(s). It's kinda hard to get some clarity out of bass when there are some open strings playing after changing a chord. The bass was actually so challenging I decided to play it again myself Big Grin If somebody likes it, I could post my bass track in order to make your mixing easier.

The drums were really well recorded in terms of mic placement and EQ (although one could've freely driven the channels harder against those API preamps). In terms of tuning and playing it wasn't as easy: It's hard to get a snappy snare sound from a snare which is tuned so low it could be a high tom and played without rimshots. Adding a higher pitch sample will simply make it sound like there's two snares playing on top of each other. I added one of the most low-pitched snare samples from my collection next to the original, and still the recorded snare was much more lower in terms of pitch.

After re-recording the bass and tweaking the drums mixing this was very straightforward and only took me like 2-3 hours.

.m4a    SBTFBIW_SpedeMix_Mastered.m4a --  (Download: 7.67 MB)

(20-10-2015, 01:54 PM)Spede Wrote: Hi everybody!

I haven't been exactly active here lately, mainly because nowadays I'm mainly preoccupied with "real" projects IRL. Anyway I liked the song so I decided to carve some time for conducting a mix from this one.

The most challenging track here was the bass track(s). It's kinda hard to get some clarity out of bass when there are some open strings playing after changing a chord. The bass was actually so challenging I decided to play it again myself Big Grin If somebody likes it, I could post my bass track in order to make your mixing easier.

The drums were really well recorded in terms of mic placement and EQ (although one could've freely driven the channels harder against those API preamps). In terms of tuning and playing it wasn't as easy: It's hard to get a snappy snare sound from a snare which is tuned so low it could be a high tom and played without rimshots. Adding a higher pitch sample will simply make it sound like there's two snares playing on top of each other. I added one of the most low-pitched snare samples from my collection next to the original, and still the recorded snare was much more lower in terms of pitch.

After re-recording the bass and tweaking the drums mixing this was very straightforward and only took me like 2-3 hours.

Hey there! Really, really nice mix. It has everything that i'd be looking for. U definetly fixed the snare sound and are probably the only one that i have listened to that has a snare sound that i'd like...i myself also struggled to get a snappy sound...but i like yours better hehe. I spent a bit of time checking all the drum tracks...as i think u said somewhere it's a bit tricky and u'll find some surprises yeah. U did a nice work, congrats! Cant say anything bad about ur mix, sorry hehehe

Cheers

Ak3r

Bang on here,bass sounds great ,bit loud maybe I cant make my mind up.
Really great mix tho the best yet I think .
Great sounding mix!!

/C
Haha, the bass drove me crazy during the recordings. No matter what, I couldn't get a good sound of that Fender Precision and the Sansamp was only an emergency solution. Big Grin
Good thing you did it again yourself! Nice work, man. The mix is awesome.

And hell yes, I hate that snare, too. That's why I had samples going with the stems.
This is a cool mix, Spede. Tonally pleasing and good dynamics, I really like the clean work during the toms breakdown. You've achieved great separation and the snare sample tidies it up nicely. My only suggestions would be to pull out a touch of the low mids from your bass guitar to open the whole mix up even more and very slightly raise the level of the lead vocal in the verses as it seems to be fighting with the level of the guitars. These are minor tweaks and as always, it can be a preference thing also.
Thanks for all the comments. I'm aware the bass is loud-ish on my mix (that's what you get when add it the last) Big Grin