Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My take
Hi !

I mixed this a while ago. Got the tracks from this microphone site. The competition was already over. I listened to the winner mix and liked it very much. I loved the fact, that the mixing engineer mixed the toms hard left and right. I did this on a metal mix once and liked it. But it seems, that nobody pans toms like that. So, it's funny, that the winner did this. Everything is possible. Smile

I'm a little lazy, when it comes to mixing just for fun, so the mix needs a little automation and some bass treatment. But for an experiment, it sounds quite ok, I think. A little dry, maybe, but I like the dryness.

Cheers,

Carstem

.mp3    funkymix(benninghoff).mp3 --  (Download: 6.49 MB)

If you are trying to recreate live performance sound then wide toms might sound unrealistic, it kinda sounds better when all instruments are close miked with little room ambience and if toms are lighter sounding (in this mix they are quite heavy sounding). Wide toms according to my experience sounds good in live setting when they are recorded with fairly close miked spaced pair and omnidirectional microphones (bleed and phase cancellations gives spacey sound).
Kick drum sounded kinda just right without overly clicky sound at the higher midrange. Overall great effort has been put into this mix.