Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
My homemix
Had a nice time mixing this song. Love the vocals.

/C

.mp3    SleepByFire3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.61 MB)

.mp3    SleepByFire4.mp3 --  (Download: 7.61 MB)

Nice mix. I found this song particulary easy to mix :/ i dont know about you. Surprisingly the weakest part of your mix is the drums...and the kick!!! :O It's just the click but nothing else...it's like a ghost kick. Then the snare, is too weak, too much bottom and maybe not enought top so it doesnt come out. Then the toms...i woulndt choose to pan the high one so hard on the left...specially when there's only 2...seems like each one is in a different continent hehehe.

Cheers.

Ak3r
Thanks AK3, You were right about the drums, maybe I was holding back remembering how you were on me last time :-) just kidding, I did the mix yesterday evening on headphones, probably the reason. Now in my speaker I heard what has to be made. I hope it is better now. Regarding the Toms, to me it is a matter of taste, but I adjusted the spread a little bit to please You :-)

New mix added.

Thanks for your opinion :-) appreciated.
/C
(20-10-2015, 09:29 AM)Cassandra Wrote: Thanks AK3, You were right about the drums, maybe I was holding back remembering how you were on me last time :-) just kidding, I did the mix yesterday evening on headphones, probably the reason. Now in my speaker I heard what has to be made. I hope it is better now. Regarding the Toms, to me it is a matter of taste, but I adjusted the spread a little bit to please You :-)

New mix added.

Thanks for your opinion :-) appreciated.
/C

Hahaha now you are making me feel bad Sad .So definetly what u did fixed the problem with the kick (175-250 hz, right? Tongue ) also the toms sound better, it wasnt just that they were too far but also too loud compared to the rest...almost seemed like a different instrument apart from the drum. Nice work...though i still dont like the snare but it's the same on all mixes, it's sounds weak and too much bottom...but as i say it's the same in all the mixes that i've listened too.

Ak3r
Kick sounds great here IMO (this comment is after mix2 was uploaded). The snap sounds a bit plastic-y but hey, this modern rock after all Big Grin If you'd really wanna work on making the snap bit more natural sounding you try to search for that one loud resonance in the 5k region and notch it few decibels.

What I find an issue is the lack of width in drums. It sounds like all your cymbals are coming from the snare leakage. In order to make the the snare sound work one needs to turn the bottom channel much more quieter than usual. Also bit weird is that fact you've featured the hihat mic super loud and panned it dead center. IMO you'd be better of trying to make the OHs as the main cymbal (and kit) sound and use the cymbal close mics as a seasoning.
(20-10-2015, 02:51 PM)Spede Wrote: Kick sounds great here IMO (this comment is after mix2 was uploaded). The snap sounds a bit plastic-y but hey, this modern rock after all Big Grin If you'd really wanna work on making the snap bit more natural sounding you try to search for that one loud resonance in the 5k region and notch it few decibels.

What I find an issue is the lack of width in drums. It sounds like all your cymbals are coming from the snare leakage. In order to make the the snare sound work one needs to turn the bottom channel much more quieter than usual. Also bit weird is that fact you've featured the hihat mic super loud and panned it dead center. IMO you'd be better of trying to make the OHs as the main cymbal (and kit) sound and use the cymbal close mics as a seasoning.

Great advice Spede, will have a look at later, actually thinking about it I just forgot the panning for cymbal and hihat :-)
Thanks for listening
/C

Updated the mix ver 3. with new drumfixes. I really appreciate all your advices, the only way to get better. It is easy to go blind after a while. Got a lot better sound on both the snare and the kick...are the kick too loud you think ? Also amde som adjustments on the hihat and the ride.

Thanks guys :-)

/C
(20-10-2015, 06:49 PM)Cassandra Wrote: Updated the mix ver 3. with new drumfixes. I really appreciate all your advices, the only way to get better. It is easy to go blind after a while. Got a lot better sound on both the snare and the kick...are the kick too loud you think ? Also amde som adjustments on the hihat and the ride.

/C

Aha, now u have stereo cymbals Tongue hehe, that sounds good. To me the kick and snare sound similar as before but i guess it's a matter of the tracks themselves, it's their nature....

(20-10-2015, 07:30 PM)Ak3r Wrote:
(20-10-2015, 06:49 PM)Cassandra Wrote: Updated the mix ver 3. with new drumfixes. I really appreciate all your advices, the only way to get better. It is easy to go blind after a while. Got a lot better sound on both the snare and the kick...are the kick too loud you think ? Also amde som adjustments on the hihat and the ride.

/C

Aha, now u have stereo cymbals Tongue hehe, that sounds good. To me the kick and snare sound similar as before but i guess it's a matter of the tracks themselves, it's their nature....

Stereo cymbals is the thing !! :-)

/C

Hey Cassandra,

could you upload future mixes in new posts instead of replacing the original one? That way people can compare and follow your improvements, resulting in a rough understanding for your workflow Smile

I like the mix I've listened to now! It's a bit bass heavy, that way the kick doesn't really cut through, but don't lift the kick up! Try a side chain compressor on the bass guitar that cuts it a bit with every kick hit and turn it down 2-3db maybe.
But your mix is really, really solid. Go for it!

Cheers