Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Forkupines - 'Sleep By The Fire, Bloom In Water' - mixed by mick2015
Cool song and fun to mix. Feedback and comments appreciated as always, cheers guys.

Mick

.mp3    Forkupines - mixed by mick2015.mp3 --  (Download: 7.64 MB)

Wow, that's a bright and crisp mix, love it! The presence of the main vocals is awesome. They sound warm and defined, kick and snare are great! Cheers
Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a pleasure to mix, the dynamics and the way it was recorded certainly makes the process much smoother and I really wanted to bring out these great qualities of the song!

Cheers,
Mick
Hey there Smile Nice work. I really like ur kick and snare sound, thought the toms could have had a little more work hehe. It's interesting what u did with the guitars...u put all the guitars in the middle, right? how so? why? and then the synth on the sides...weird choice but it's not bad Tongue . Interesting mix!! Wink

Cheers

Ak3r
Thanks Ak3r. The guitars are panned about halfway left and right, just not hard panned. The idea was to provide some contrast with the chorus mostly and create more central energy. I found it wasn't interfering with the lead vocal and sort of sat nicely so chose to leave it that way. I duplicated the synth and modulated one side to get some width also.
(20-10-2015, 09:42 AM)mick2015 Wrote: Thanks Ak3r. The guitars are panned about halfway left and right, just not hard panned. The idea was to provide some contrast with the chorus mostly and create more central energy. I found it wasn't interfering with the lead vocal and sort of sat nicely so chose to leave it that way. I duplicated the synth and modulated one side to get some width also.

An interesting approach as i said Wink . To me they sound quite in the middle, as both are almost the same...i guess u can still keep that idea but widen a bith the whole stereo. But is a nice work Wink

Cheers

Ak3r
There is some kind of issue with your monitoring; the rhythm guitar are definitely panned dead center (the extra lead guitars are slightly off center). You can hear this by listening to the side channel of the mix.

I know it's a matter of opinion but this is rock music; you definitely want those guitars to sides especially for the anthemic chorus. The synth sounds really really cool here, but unfortunately the overall direction is ill for this kind of song. If you're really interested in working with creative solutions, I suggest you start mixing electronic music; that genre is much more forgiving in terms of oddball solutions.
(20-10-2015, 02:11 PM)Spede Wrote: There is some kind of issue with your monitoring; the rhythm guitar are definitely panned dead center (the extra lead guitars are slightly off center). You can hear this by listening to the side channel of the mix.

I know it's a matter of opinion but this is rock music; you definitely want those guitars to sides especially for the anthemic chorus. The synth sounds really really cool here, but unfortunately the overall direction is ill for this kind of song. If you're really interested in working with creative solutions, I suggest you start mixing electronic music; that genre is much more forgiving in terms of oddball solutions.

Thanks spede. Some good points there. All genres can benefit from oddball solutions in the creative world Tongue
I have another mixing going up shortly. Cheers.
Version 2.0

Appreciate any new comments, thanks guys.

.mp3    Forkupines - mixed by mick2015 v2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.66 MB)

Amazing.

Now try to use the tom sample at the beginning of the first chorus as a kind of bass impulse. That was what it was recorded for, but most people don't seem to have noticed. I should have given it a different name Tongue

Seriously, this is one of my fav mixes so far!