Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nerve 9 - Pray For The Rain (CRMC Mix)
Hit me up with some of dat feedback please!

.mp3    Nerve9 - Pray For The Rain (WIP 1).mp3 --  (Download: 13.16 MB)

Good creative use of effects on the vocal, but maybe dial back a bit (in particular the delays sounding louder than the original track). You might want to automate those in and out for more effect. On the drums and bass, there sounded like a bit mud there, but not sure if that was the EQ on those, or perhaps on the reverb you used. I like the punch on some of the guitar lines also! Cheers, Jeff
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(16-10-2015, 04:28 PM)jeffd42 Wrote: Good creative use of effects on the vocal, but maybe dial back a bit (in particular the delays sounding louder than the original track). You might want to automate those in and out for more effect. On the drums and bass, there sounded like a bit mud there, but not sure if that was the EQ on those, or perhaps on the reverb you used. I like the punch on some of the guitar lines also! Cheers, Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff, I totally agree with the delay I can get carried away with them and it was admittedly a bit of laziness is why I didn't automate them more. With the mud, it wlll be EQ as I HPF'ed the low end out of all the reverbs to stop that problem, thank you for picking up on that.

Thank you for your comment on the guitars, personally thought I could of done better and I thought they sounded quite harsh.

Thank you!
Hi Callum - thanks for mixing the track ! There are some things I really like about your mix:

- delay on intro guitar. Sounds cool. Maybe a bit loud, but a taste decision
- echoplex delay on "no one cares". That was cool - maybe again a bit loud, but I'm a sucker for delay Smile
- really liked the delay on the ending guitar solo and some of the echoplex feedback coming back - that was cool

Opportunities
- the body of the lead vocal had been eq'ed out to give a kind of radio effect. This would have worked for me if the chorus brought back the body or something to give it some impact. Because it continued throughout the song, it gave me the impression of being too thin - or keep the radio effect plus distortion you have at the bridge and then hit me with a full bodied chorus 3. Hopefully this makes sense.

- BVs on chorus 2 seem to have dropped in level and the power guitars are too loud. Sounds like some lower mids buildup such that the bass is hard to make out. Some level adjustments + HPF?

- there are a lot of delays overall. I liked them - but, agreed overall there is a bit much. May be a stylistic decision I realize, as it also made your mix distinctive.

Thanks again - hope this helps !

Thomas
(18-10-2015, 10:49 PM)ThomasStevenson Wrote: Hi Callum - thanks for mixing the track ! There are some things I really like about your mix:

- delay on intro guitar. Sounds cool. Maybe a bit loud, but a taste decision
- echoplex delay on "no one cares". That was cool - maybe again a bit loud, but I'm a sucker for delay Smile
- really liked the delay on the ending guitar solo and some of the echoplex feedback coming back - that was cool

Opportunities
- the body of the lead vocal had been eq'ed out to give a kind of radio effect. This would have worked for me if the chorus brought back the body or something to give it some impact. Because it continued throughout the song, it gave me the impression of being too thin - or keep the radio effect plus distortion you have at the bridge and then hit me with a full bodied chorus 3. Hopefully this makes sense.

- BVs on chorus 2 seem to have dropped in level and the power guitars are too loud. Sounds like some lower mids buildup such that the bass is hard to make out. Some level adjustments + HPF?

- there are a lot of delays overall. I liked them - but, agreed overall there is a bit much. May be a stylistic decision I realize, as it also made your mix distinctive.

Thanks again - hope this helps !

Thomas

Thank you for your feedback Thomas!

Yeah, again the delay levels being a bit too again like I said to Jeff was just a bit of laziness and I didn't really care that much for the bv's so I didn't really have them that loud, but thank you Tongue

With the telephonic sound on the vocals, for me as a preference, I feel it gives it a intimate feel as the lyrics have a ballad/love song feel? but that's just my preference some people like it, and like yourself some people like it in small doses Smile

Thank you for the feedback on guitars, as I though these were my weakness in this mix, I'll take your comments on board next time I mix a track Smile

Cheers
Cal
I agree on Thomas opinions. But I like your guitar mix on the solo part. Mine is more of distortion approach but I think I like your approach on the guitar solo part.
Please check out mine too.
Well i guess almost everything has been said already. A really nice and creative mix. I like it a lot. Obviously the voice could be a bit more up front and be a little more measured with the delays...but...Reaaaally nice mix Wink