Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pray For The Rain - ALRmix
Many thanks to Thomas and the band for making these tracks available - it's such a pleasure to have such great tracks to work with. My interpretation of your song:

.m4a    Pray For The Rain - ALRmix 2015-1011.m4a --  (Download: 13.29 MB)

Hi ALR - thanks for taking the time to mix the track. There are a few fundamental things here to point out unless intentional (?)

* The solo guitar in the middle and end has been nudged out of time with the rest of the track

* The lead vocal or bridge guitar has been nudged out of time

I am thinking these are unintentional, as they aren't nudged onto a musical timing boundary.

The drums sound mixed well, but they seem a bit loud - more prominent than the vocals. Try out chorus 2 - when I close my eyes, it's the drums I hear first.

The bass frequencies seem to be understated - if you read Mike's article from March of this year, he pulls a lot of the 1-2k out of the bass part and does a shelf-boost at the lows. Might be worth a try.

If you were going for a dry ambiance, then ignore this comment - the vocals and ambiance reverb seem a bit dry in general. If you were going for Rick Rubin style, then that's ok too Smile

I did like how you were trying to emphasize certain lines of the vocal with some kind of doubler - I liked the lines you chose, but I thought maybe try a cool delay or reverb wash instead. A taste comment Smile

I hope this is helpful - thanks again for taking the time to mix it !

Thomas

Hi Thomas. Thanks for actually listening! Good ears - your comments are spot on. Thanks again - we are all striving to improve and great feedback is invaluable