Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
merrygold "motherload"
Hi, I´m new here and thought it would be a good idea to mix merrygold.
Please feel free to leave any comments on my mix.
Mixing was done in the box and then I run the mix through my 60 year old Studer C 37 - and here´s the result.
I know its not loud but its not a master and we all have a volume knob :-)
By the way I used the room mics to create the live feeling of that band.
Mike

.mp3    merrygold.mp3 --  (Download: 6.32 MB)

(03-10-2015, 08:39 PM)daddyO Wrote: Hi, I´m new here and thought it would be a good idea to mix merrygold.
Please feel free to leave any comments on my mix.
Mixing was done in the box and then I run the mix through my 60 year old Studer C 37 - and here´s the result.
I know its not loud but its not a master and we all have a volume knob :-)
By the way I used the room mics to create the live feeling of that band.
Mike

Thanks for the comment on loudness, daddyO. I hate it when a mix is judged on loudness. Loudness is O.K. to a point, but losing valuable dynamic range for that reason is a sad thing - it saps the life out of the song's emotion. I like to use the dynamic range to bring life to components of the song.

That was nice to try to preserve the original room sound. I found the room mic tracks available on this set of tracks quite limiting, though. I left them out after a few attempts to use them - I think you got about as much value from them as could be had. Check out my mix with the room sounds replaced with various verbs, delays, etc., and some tracks left mostly dry for contrast.

...cool hearing this through a C37, too.

Thanks for your comment!
what I like most on my Studer C 37 is the fact that it gives such a nice body to the instruments and vocals and as a result you get a fine separation of instruments in the mix.
and lend your ear to the upright bass, he has a very well sounding attack if you play it louder :-)
I panned the room mics not really hard on the edges, i tried more to give an impression of a stereo image from the far, so I panned them +-35 on -10dB and lowered the mid signal down to -15 dB
would love to get more feedback!
I like your mix also and whats funny is that we both did the same panning, unlike may others who gave banjo and guitar a reversed place :-)
On the double bass you will hear the main difference between our mixes - your bass is deep and "relatively" loud and mine has a very defined attack but is not as loud.