Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Window - Olli H
Nice song, difficult voice track to mix. I tried to make some soft clarity to it, but I didn't manage to do it the way it was in my mind.

.mp3    window-2015-09-12-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 6.13 MB)

since you mentioned about the vocals, I've been paying close attention to it. At the first listen, I could hear that there were a cpuple of frequencies that were disturbing me, one around 500 hz and another one near 2khz. So I decided to download your file and by checking out with my eq plugin, I think they are at 2692 hz and 661hz (around the areas I first thought).

Have you used some distortion on the hihats? only a couple of times during the song I heard something strange on them, and I don't think it's a phase issue. If eventually it's distortion, try to automate in certain parts where it's more obvious.

Other than that, I think that the mix is pretty good and smooth Smile
mixing since April 2013
Nice mix. Very difficult to mix the mids in this song. I think maybe a little presence is lacking in your mid frequencies. But still niceSmile
I like the stripped down feel of this mix olli and I really like how the vox sits in the track - good work there cos there is a lot of mud that needs to be cleared out for that to happen.

There are moments in the arrangement when I think you could have been bolder with some of the higher frequencies e.g. the cymbals and Ride during choruses, to give it a bit more space and air but I think you have gone darker on purpose.
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
THanks for listening all. I agree that my mix is lackin some definition. Maybe I'll check it soon, or maybe I'll just continue with other songs...
I agree the breakup of the drums was not particularly appealing. The hi-hat not that crisp to my ear, but ok otherwise
i think the guitars are too low, but you solved most of the problems with the voice

(sorry about my inglish)