Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Talk To Me Baby" newbie mix!
Hi guys! I'm complete newbie here, so I hope to get some feedback from you, experienced mixers Smile As I listened to other mixes of this great song I found vocals considerably lower then here, but I wanted to make it more "poppy", I used some reverb to make it fell like singing in a room, where it'd be most discreet (regarding the lyrics). Hope you like it, and waiting for your replies Smile

Regards!

.mp3    Talk to me.mp3 --  (Download: 7.32 MB)

Please, comment guys, I need some feedback to know what's wrong and what's right! Smile
(06-09-2015, 03:35 PM)donio Wrote: Hi guys! I'm complete newbie here, so I hope to get some feedback from you, experienced mixers Smile As I listened to other mixes of this great song I found vocals considerably lower then here, but I wanted to make it more "poppy", I used some reverb to make it fell like singing in a room, where it'd be most discreet (regarding the lyrics). Hope you like it, and waiting for your replies Smile

Regards!

Hi Donio,

Your mix has potential to be a great mix, its good at this point but there are some small kinks in it. The bass and kick really are fighting each other, this is a common mistake but it's an easy fix. The bass has alot of rumble in it, I would use a High Pass Filter to take out some of the low end from about 30-40 Hz down as it's mostly just unnecessary low end rumble. Boosting the 700-800 Hz range of the bass guitar will allow it to cut through the mix more and give it some definition. In regards to the kick, I would let it take more of the low end and let the bass occupy the low mids to connect the low end of the mix together. The vocals seem to be a little on the dry side which puts them a touch too forward in the mix and takes away from the vibe of the track. Try adding a short slap back echo on the vocals with a small plate reverb to give a little bit of air around the vocals so that sit in the mix a little more. The backing vocals seem to suffer from the same ambience issue as the lead vocal does, you can get away with a lotr more reverb on those. For a reference take a listen to Earth Angel by Marvin Berry and The Starlighters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41GsS3jldOI this is the link to the video. Overall the guitars and rest of the mix sounds nice and clear. Good job!
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Thank you for your reply! Yep, now that I listened to the bottom end I see the problem there, you're right! As for vocals I just couldn't resist to make it as clear as possible, due to great lyrics and the singer, but I may exaggerated it a bit... I guess lesson to be learnt in here is to create as much ilussion of "impossible scenarios" as we can (just not to let the listeners know that the band consists of normal, plain people) Wink
Thanks again, and I hope there are some other people that want to share their opinion with me! Smile

Greets!