Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Opener
Took a couple of hours and mixed this. I think it has a nice big feel with the brass, but not overbearing. I love mixing jazz.

Draper

.mp3    The Opener Master.mp3 --  (Download: 5.82 MB)

Nice spacious version Draper I like it Big Grin!

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Sounding great on headphones. Some of the trombone blast panned hard right are sounding a little edgy to me, could be my headphones. Stereo arrangement is somewhat different to what I'm used to but I think it works quite well. This is what I like about jazz, so many ways to present the same tune that can all sound great.
Thanks guys, the stage placement I had in mind was based on a setup my high school jazz used to use, sometimes. Front line on saxes altos stage right, then tenors, then Bari, all brass in a second row, with the trumpets stage right, and trombones stage left. I placed the bass center, because, you know, bass. . . and I almost panned my drums off to stage left. . . but then I got scared.

I totally agree about the trombones being edgy, but I waffled with: Do I A) Compress them more with a quicker attack and roll off more of their highs? or B) Take the approach of "That's how they played it, they must have wanted that edginess" (aka "Bah, it's not bad enough to take care of, and I feel kind of lazy").

Thanks for the listen, and I'll give it a touch, and maybe make another version with the three layer, more standard stage setup (and maybe be brave enough to pan the drums).

Nothing wrong with feeling lazy, this is jazz! lol. The three tier arrangement is definitely easier to mix as far as getting the horns to sit well together without too much extra processing. It is nice though to hear other arrangements that are mixed well.