Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Believe it´ssz mixssssd by Mange
Hi everyone

So, I tried my skills on this great song. Sourcefiles sure has it´s troubles. I did my best to make the best out of it. To my ears it got pretty decent, so shoot me down. I´m quite fed up with it now so I will probably not revisit it but naturally I want your opinion what could have been improved.
I rarely listen to others mixes when I work on a song. It´s fun though when done to hear all good ideas other mixers have and get some inspiration to the next song.

You know the saying... we fixsss that in the mixsss. Well, I´m sure theres also... we fix that in mastering. Funny as we all know... let´s fix it as soon as possible. Anyway... I have a little bonus for you this time. How about fixing my mix in mastering. I have linked to an unlimited version of my mix. I couldn´t upload it to here so to DropBox it went.
Download the unlimited version, load into your daw and master/fix it. Upload it to this thread together with whatever you did to it. I´m eager to learn me some mastering tricks.

Yes, it do have stuff on the 2bus. These are plugins that are there pretty much from the very beginning so they are a "big" part of my mix. 2bus chain is as follows.. VCC MixBus, AirEQ, VBC FG-Grey and VTM.

Master this

.mp3    Believe (Mix by Mange).mp3 --  (Download: 8.8 MB)

Nice Mix Mange,I like it ,sounds well balanced to me !
Good jobBig Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Good balance. Drums are well handled (the taming of the cymbals and the snare and kick suit the song well, as opposed to the "full metal jacket" kick and rip-your-head-off-snare some people dropped in). Vocal treatments are nice, particularly good job on deSSSing this one. Only quibble; the final chorus lacks a bit of punch. Cheers.
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
nice sound!! the instruments are well separated and the balance is also fine. So there's no need to change anything at all even though you were not too keen on that in the first place Smile
mixing since April 2013
(04-09-2015, 08:42 AM)thedon Wrote: Nice Mix Mange,I like it ,sounds well balanced to me !
Good jobBig Grin
Thanks Don

(04-09-2015, 03:06 PM)jeffd42 Wrote: Good balance. Drums are well handled (the taming of the cymbals and the snare and kick suit the song well, as opposed to the "full metal jacket" kick and rip-your-head-off-snare some people dropped in). Vocal treatments are nice, particularly good job on deSSSing this one. Only quibble; the final chorus lacks a bit of punch. Cheers.
Well, maybe I should have muted one round ov singing in the end and focused the guitar. Heard many did that with success. I didn´t think of the guitar as a solo part... at all! As of now I think it is two more or less identical rounds. Or are you thinking of more sonically punch? Thanks for input. You got yourself a follower on SoundCloud.

(04-09-2015, 05:08 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: nice sound!! the instruments are well separated and the balance is also fine. So there's no need to change anything at all even though you were not too keen on that in the first place Smile
Thanks Juan, You know I struggled with it last minute fixing me mixed it at too low volume.
Hi, nice mix. Maybe the kick and snare could be more distinct, I don't know how, but there is something I miss. Maybe just a matter of taste :-)

/C
Quote:Well, maybe I should have muted one round ov singing in the end and focused the guitar ... Or are you thinking of more sonically punch?

I just noticed the final chorus felt a bit lower in impact to the preceding sections. Could be addressed by dropping back something before the final chorus or, as you say, by making the guitar a bit heavier for that part. Or volume automation (hitting the compressor a bit harder). Lots of possible approaches that would work.

Thx for the like and follow on soundcloud! Cheers.

All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
Nice mix dude, a little boomy for me but very nice.
Be careful to your balance (check in mono, it's truly helpful) especially with the piano wich is too loud and the glockenspiel is not panned enough (it mess with the vocal a little)
The HH is really crispy, use a de-esser it works very well and automate the lead vocal cause it's become harder to hear it clearly in the last and loudest part of the song.
Dude, mono, I´m so f*****g lazy with that mono check. I´m very aware of it thank youSmile Thanks for feedback. I will have your pointers in mind on my next track.
Before i did my balance in mono, right now i eq in mono be too because if it sounds good with everything center, it will sound even greater in stereo.

By the way, your mixe is pretty hard to master cause there is not enough headroom for this (not ready for the mastering), in this particular case the mastering ingeneer must use a transient designer to achieve a proper mastering IMO.

I made a test for you.

.mp3    07092015Believe by mange Mastered by Duguy.mp3 --  (Download: 8.55 MB)