Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Angela Thomas Wade - Milk Cow Blues
Here's my attempt to mix a country song. Very exotic for a Spanish guy like me Big Grin

.mp3    Angela Thomas Wade - Milk Cow Blues.mp3 --  (Download: 7.85 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Have you used a kick sample? I don't think it suits the style of music
or you just have too much low end on it
No, it's the original kick. I am not used to country music so I don't know what fits or not. I will check on that kick this evening. Thanks for your opinion Smile
mixing since April 2013
Here's the mix again with a less low end kick.

.mp3    Angela Thomas Wade - Milk Cow Blues(2).mp3 --  (Download: 7.85 MB)

mixing since April 2013
All instruments sound good, but kick drum does not fit this style of music and is a bit distracting . You could try to do mono drums to a song like this. Good reference song would be Country Roads or Ring of Fire or something similar to this songs.
I think the snare is a tad loud. If I close my eyes I picture the lead vox standing behind the drums. I donĀ“t want it neccesary louder but i want her closer. I know you are experimenting with reverbs, I think it pays off. Really good one.
Here's the mix again. I've used a sample for the kick instead of the original one and I've also tried to bring the lead vocal forward in the mix.

.mp3    Angela Thomas Wade - Milk Cow Blues(3).mp3 --  (Download: 7.85 MB)

mixing since April 2013
The music is very, very good. The vocals... sometimes it sounds like she is stepping away from the mic, and sometimes she is really close to it. I have adressed similar problems with multiband compression in the past. Make it work her bottom end Wink only when she is close to the mic. Now when you have a more consistant thinner vocals you can correct it if you see fit with an eq. The depth position is better. If you cant move her forward (because of that printed reverb you mentioned)... can you move the music further back? Be careful though as the music sounds very fine. at about 2:00 she sounds a bit phasey?!
I think you should try once more to get that vocals sit, this mix is about to take off.