Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is You Is - Olli H
I was after a modern retro sound. My main reference was Al Schmitts mix of Paul McCartney’s recent jazz record ”Kisses on the boottom”.

.mp3    is-you-is-2015-08-29-Olli-H.mp3 --  (Download: 7.75 MB)

I love it lovely mix
Stop collecting plugins and hardware. First understand the tool you got and then look for extension when you reach your limit.
I like this mix. I think cool jazz agrees with you Olli Cool. Sometimes I wish the vox had a gentle verb air - mainly during the bridge, but the intimate vibe you have is great and if it matches your reference of the great Al Schmitt then I'm not going to objectBig Grin
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
I actually agree with you about air with vox, and I was thinking about it when mixing.

But in those rare cases when I found respectable and suitable reference to practice with, I tend to follow it to those details I'm still capable of hearing. Just to learn some new perspectives and just to refresh my mind from my own stubborn thinking patterns - and there's plenty of them. But I'm quite sure that if Al Schmitt heard my mix, he wouldn't find it so similar to his mixes. Smile

With next song I may find a reverby but venerable reference, and then I'll be testing the opposite with vox...
Very nice mix. I find the vocal is sitting very nice in the mix.
Had a listen this morning, beautiful mix! As Stefanos has stated, the vocals are sitting really nice. Very enjoyable. Well Done.
Dave Cool
thanks.
(@ Dangerous, I tried to find your mix, but I couldn't)
Still working on it. Will get it out there soon.
Dave.
Nice work.
I should add some delay to the voice.
The piano solo is awesome ! I couldn't get that tone.
Congrats ! Good job !
Marce Morales
For some reason I don't get anymore email notifications if someone comments my mixes. I happened to see your comment just by accident.

Thanks for comments. Actually the "secrect" of the piano sound is that I did almost nothing to it.
- I panned the left mic to center and right mic to full right. So I reduced the width, so that piano is more naturally somewhere
- 315 hz small cut
- 1.6 k very small boost
- 8.2 k bigger boost but only to sides, so I guess only to left mic as the right mic was in center.