Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spektakulatius: Is you is or is you aint one hour mix unmastered
I've done this mix with in an hour no fancy effects just a raw mix with two reverbs. Enjoy and comment if you wish
As usual mixed in Harrison mixbus but now in version 3.

.mp3    Spektakulatius - Is you is or is you aint_BHBstudio_session_2015-08-26.mp3 --  (Download: 7.89 MB)

Stop collecting plugins and hardware. First understand the tool you got and then look for extension when you reach your limit.
Nice mix, although not so genre specific.

Interesting that delay effect with snare. It creates huge space. But is it too big?

Vox feels quite thin. Or maybe the vox should be louder? On the other hand it's quite edgy.

Cymbals probably have too strong role. They somewhat overpower vox.
Thanks Olli H for your advice and taking time to listen. I will take it into consideration if I re visit this mix again. Like I said, I just only spend an hour or 1 hour and 30 minute on this mix. I never even used deesser on vocal. I just wanted to put my emotion over this song rather than going detail about it. However, I do agree about you comment and I highly appreciate that.

About the Snare, If you compress it pretty good, you can hear the original snare character which has the same vibe with the one that I did so I took it as a starting point and have put medium Hall Reverb. I used The harrison Gverb so and so hall preset and I tweaked it for my liking. the parallel compression that I used on kick and snare together gave the snare that big feeling. Thats all. Thanks once again Olli H.
Stop collecting plugins and hardware. First understand the tool you got and then look for extension when you reach your limit.
Nice for a quick mix. Good to get your emotion dialled in quickly and I enjoyed listening to it but I guess its the finer details that elevate a rough mix to something more.

The vox gets overwhelmed from time to time and feels down in the mix. The sax seems to be playing in a different room during the solo compared to the rest of the band. No problems with the snare FX but when combined with vox and/or sax solo its like you have three different ambience types happening in same space.

So I guess your FX and levels need fine tuning if you want your overall illusion to be believable - its a little bit disjointed at the moment but nothing a rebalancing session wouldn't fix.
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Thank you so much HbGuitar for taking time to listen my mix and most of all for leaving me your valuable comment. And I will check it when I'm in my mixing room and adjust it accordingly. I'm Glad you enjoyed it though.