Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Believe
Took a stab at this one just for kicks. Definitely not the easiest of mixes to pull off in my opinion but fun to screw around with.

.mp3    Believe 3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.85 MB)

(24-08-2015, 08:42 PM)MiximusMaximus Wrote: Took a stab at this one just for kicks. Definitely not the easiest of mixes to pull off in my opinion but fun to screw around with.
Hi, I like your version maybe just a touch more work in the lower frequencies !
A good challenge is balancing the low end of the strings,accoustic ,vocals and bass to as the raw tracks are all competing for space in the low frequencies and a little too much compression on the tracks is easy to do and will only cause the mix to lose dynamics especially when the compressor is trying to compress unwanted low or resonant frequencies Big Grin

Good job !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks for the comments Don. I am using an old hybrid setup in my studio that limits me to 24 tracks, so I had to make decisions on what not to use and make stereo mixes of things like the strings and vocal pads and fly them back in as well as fill up empty open holes on various tracks to save on track count. It was a tedious process just to get to the point of starting the fun part of mixing the tune. There is not a lot of compression going on with individual tracks, a bit of the stereo string tracks just to control the swells slightly, the bass is going through an an old Altec 436C comp, not hitting it too hard. Vocals are going through a GT Glory Comp and a TnC "ChiNeve" 1084 channel for some transformer weight and EQ. The entire mix is going through a multiband compressor, using two bands for a crossover around 80hz, with the low end bypassed so the low end doesn't tigger any compression. Everything above that is getting tickled with about 2db of reduction, just to help gel it all together a slight bit more.
I decided the previous mix was lacking a little weight in the bass guitar so here is a tweaked version with the compression loosened up a bit on the bass guitar and some more de-ssing work done on the vocals.

.mp3    Believe 4.mp3 --  (Download: 6.86 MB)