Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My take on "Hold On You"
Hey guys, just finished this mix. Some weird things going on with the snare track, i guess the gate wasnt detecting all the hits. Used a bit of reverb to give it a little more space, but i wanted to keep the mix up close and warm.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

.mp3    James May - Hold On You (Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 3.93 MB)

Hi Tanks, Maybe the vocals would need some (more) compression, it's a little too prominent to my taste. And some stereo separation would do fine I think. But apart from that you have good balance of the instruments.
Keep rocking :-)
Peter
Hey Tanks...Nice mix! really enjoyed listening to it.

kinda agree with Peter re vox... Not sure if its a level thing or whether it needs more eq/multi-band to help it sit better in the mix. From memory there's a fair bit of resonance around 200-400hz and some occasional sub 200hz plosives. Unless you control these bands its really hard to find a comfortable level where it just sits right.

Also, being very picky but the FX on the slide make it sound a bit distant and kinda like an overdub rather than part of an ensemble as it has a unique ambience. Not sure how it was tracked but nice to have a band sound sound like a band - but that's just me....go with your vision.

Good work
Hey there, what a great drum sound you have.
Thank you all for comenting on this mix.

About the vocals needing compression, yeah i guess i wanted them a little bit dry but they do pop more than i would like to in some places, i think ill just give it some extra compression on the vocals. Maybe turn up the slide guitar a little bit, specially in the solo.

And thanks about the drum sound. I actually muted the snare track. For some reason the tone of the snare on the snare mic didn't match the tone of the snare on the overheads. So instead of trying to make the snare fit with the overheads, i just muted the track and tried to get the most i could from the overheads by cleaning the mid low end as much as i could with substractive eq (eq3 pro tools), and then with a different eq (sslchanel) i added a bit around the 200 hz area to bring out the weight of the snare, and then i applied some multiband compression (c6 from waves) to control the general tone of the drums.