Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Believe - The Gagged Vocal mix
Hehehe, nice version. The only thing that i'd suggest is to add a nice chamber reverb to the whole orchestra so it'll sound less synthetic Wink

Cheers.

Ak3r
(12-10-2015, 11:05 PM)Ak3r Wrote: Hehehe, nice version. The only thing that i'd suggest is to add a nice chamber reverb to the whole orchestra so it'll sound less synthetic Wink

thanks for dropping by and taking a listen...and for your idea here. unfortunately, it's a case of cheese in, cheese out. adding reverb (ambiance), simply puts the cheese into a different space.

the violins came with a bucket-load of reverb, wet as hell (the rule in mixing is that recordings should arrive dry), which washed them out. adding any more verb to them would have completely nailed them; they were too far back in the mix for my vision but we can't extract verb once it's printed. the other instruments actually have varying amounts of another reverb, plus the Lex Chamber in an effort [not to address the cheese], but for placement in the depth field so there was some continuity with the other orchestral instruments. so, recommending a chamber when a chamber is already running confirms the problem Big Grin

what made me weep, was the fact that some of the orchestration actually contained significant amounts of emotional value and needed bringing out during those moments. normally, i'd have preferred to bury them in the background and let the instruments front-of-stage distract the listener's ear from the cheese. another problem with the orchestra, was the printed fades - most were wrong for my needs, and in places i had to compromise. the intro is a case in point which springs uncomfortably to mind.

one final point....adding more reverb, especially giving a chamber full space, is that it can smother the mix and help water down some of the effects. i have a lot of effects running here on key instruments and they were crucial to my interpretation of the "instrumental" concept. so, it's the recording, arranging that gets in the way of the mix. just like the crappy vocal. perhaps i should have muted everything and just played silence (with some ambiance, naturally) heh. Wink

thanks again.
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
(29-08-2015, 02:44 PM)jeffd42 Wrote: Definitely can't argue with the approach. The strings and other acoustic aspects of the arrangement are certainly worthy of being their own track. Good to see someone thinking outside the box on this mix! Cheers.

one of the joys in not having to work to a brief Big Grin

thanks for dropping in and giving it a listen and stuff. appreciated.

catch you later Wink
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
(16-10-2015, 09:21 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote:
(12-10-2015, 11:05 PM)Ak3r Wrote: Hehehe, nice version. The only thing that i'd suggest is to add a nice chamber reverb to the whole orchestra so it'll sound less synthetic Wink

thanks for dropping by and taking a listen...and for your idea here. unfortunately, it's a case of cheese in, cheese out. adding reverb (ambiance), simply puts the cheese into a different space.

the violins came with a bucket-load of reverb, wet as hell (the rule in mixing is that recordings should arrive dry), which washed them out. adding any more verb to them would have completely nailed them; they were too far back in the mix for my vision but we can't extract verb once it's printed. the other instruments actually have varying amounts of another reverb, plus the Lex Chamber in an effort [not to address the cheese], but for placement in the depth field so there was some continuity with the other orchestral instruments. so, recommending a chamber when a chamber is already running confirms the problem Big Grin

what made me weep, was the fact that some of the orchestration actually contained significant amounts of emotional value and needed bringing out during those moments. normally, i'd have preferred to bury them in the background and let the instruments front-of-stage distract the listener's ear from the cheese. another problem with the orchestra, was the printed fades - most were wrong for my needs, and in places i had to compromise. the intro is a case in point which springs uncomfortably to mind.

one final point....adding more reverb, especially giving a chamber full space, is that it can smother the mix and help water down some of the effects. i have a lot of effects running here on key instruments and they were crucial to my interpretation of the "instrumental" concept. so, it's the recording, arranging that gets in the way of the mix. just like the crappy vocal. perhaps i should have muted everything and just played silence (with some ambiance, naturally) heh. Wink

thanks again.

Yes i definetly see what u mean. But even though, adding some reverb to the whole orchestra bus made it all fit together somehow...but yes
it can definetly end up ruining it easly. Thanks for taking the time answer in such a detailed way.

Cheers

Ak3r