Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Believe - The Gagged Vocal mix
No apologies; a higher force sent me a vision. Who am i to argue?

Got some forum catching up to do too. All in good time, hey.

.mp3    Believe-_THE_METALLURGIST.mp3 --  (Download: 8.54 MB)

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
I can see that you decided to give the singer a break in your mix, Dave! Big Grin

But on the other hand, it's been a good idea because this makes your mix different. When I finished listening to your mix, I found myself smiling because that instrumental mix with new elements added and others slightly changed, reminded me that in the old times of 7 inches vinyls, sometimes on side B you could find a similar instrumental version of the song on side A. I even bought once an LP record of instrumental versions of big hits like Bruce Springsteen's "Born to run" and others; and I used to spend hours listening to those instead lf the original hits. It was like listening to a movie soundtrack!

Technically I didn't find anything that should be improved or changed, but you got an old story of mine instead.... a sweet story....

Great idea and work!
mixing since April 2013
thanks for taking a listen, JJ

and i thought it was only me around here who knew life long before mp3! Big Grin

sweet indeed.

James Last was one of the old-school big guns at orchestrating the pop classics, for example, and making additional hits from them.

i think with more time and energy, i'd embrace the intro and cut out some of the chaff. i felt i was hanging around too long before the thing started to get going? but i think i stopped at the right time! i found the long run of emotion in the second half of the song somewhat exaggerated, even exhausting from being kept on the wave of emotion for nearly half the song's duration. this was hard coded into the arrangement though, and would need some hefty remixing to fix...but now i'm getting subjective, time to log off...

cheers
It's Nice to here a different version i like it,especially after listening to and skipping through hundreds of mixes.
Thanks for sharing Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Its nice to hear the instruments! It feels very calm and serene

(22-08-2015, 10:31 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: i found the long run of emotion in the second half of the song somewhat exaggerated, even exhausting from being kept on the wave of emotion for nearly half the song's duration.
cheers
+1 to that

The original has so many melody lines clashing with vox (piano, harp, glock, flute, lead guitar), all trying to create "emotion and epicness". Not helped by the overly sibilant "fixSSS what needSS fixSSSing" vocal line.
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Aaaaahhhhh, that's better. You 'fixed what needed fixing' that's for sure. Nice one.
(23-08-2015, 12:53 AM)thedon Wrote: Nice to here a different version...especially after listening to and skipping through hundreds of mixes.

Don, you've obviously got stamina to be able to listen to so many!!

So, thanks for stopping by and giving mine a listen! cheers!
(23-08-2015, 03:58 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Its nice to hear the instruments! It feels very calm and serene

(22-08-2015, 10:31 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: i found the long run of emotion in the second half of the song somewhat exaggerated, even exhausting from being kept on the wave of emotion for nearly half the song's duration.
cheers
+1 to that

The original has so many melody lines clashing with vox (piano, harp, glock, flute, lead guitar), all trying to create "emotion and epicness". Not helped by the overly sibilant "fixSSS what needSS fixSSSing" vocal line.

yeah, all that sibilance did my head in. i must say that the vocal recordings were the worst i've ever come across? it certainly felt like it anyway. those low end resonances which came with more than their fair share of comb filtering? maddeningly frustrating. trying to EQ simply made the vocal thin and washed out, and the lack of material in the mids was rather strange to say the least - it really skewed the spectrum beyond "fixing in the mix". i noted the fact that despite a monster resonance at around 200Hz, it was followed lower by....nothing, which is physically impossible without someone messing around before hand. clearly it had also been subjected to pitch correction because the artifacts were evident.

so, i treated it all with the utmost contempt and muted it! as soon as i did so, the clouds disappeared, the sun came out, flowers blossomed, bees hummed, and the birds started to sing.

thanks for dropping by Big Grin
Definitely can't argue with the approach. The strings and other acoustic aspects of the arrangement are certainly worthy of being their own track. Good to see someone thinking outside the box on this mix! Cheers.
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(26-08-2015, 04:21 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote:
(23-08-2015, 03:58 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Its nice to hear the instruments! It feels very calm and serene

cheers
+1 to that

yeah, all that sibilance did my head in. i must say that the vocal recordings were the worst i've ever come across? it certainly felt like it anyway. those low end resonances which came with more than their fair share of comb filtering? maddeningly frustrating. trying to EQ simply made the vocal thin and washed out, and the lack of material in the mids was rather strange to say the least - it really skewed the spectrum beyond "fixing in the mix". i noted the fact that despite a monster resonance at around 200Hz, it was followed lower by....nothing, which is physically impossible without someone messing around before hand. clearly it had also been subjected to pitch correction because the artifacts were evident.

so, i treated it all with the utmost contempt and muted it! as soon as i did so, the clouds disappeared, the sun came out, flowers blossomed, bees hummed, and the birds started to sing.

thanks for dropping by Big Grin

LOL, the best