Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Believe
Did this mix the day the contest was announced. Like it?

Draper

Edit: Added update as of 25/08/2015 (the proper way of writing the date is so hard for me to do as a Yank)

I attacked my bass problem quite heartily, and I think the results worked.

.mp3    Boz Mix contestmix2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.6 MB)

.mp3    Boz Mix contestBass TOTALLY controlled FOR REAL.mp3 --  (Download: 8.64 MB)

Overall, it sounds very hi fi : lots of low ends everywhere, it's quite disturbing.
The kick got completely lost when the the drums come in. There is a lot of distortion on OHs and vocals. Is that on purpose ?
Really, you find the low end disturbing? I definitely have a decent amount of low end energy added to some tracks, but, personally I don't find it disturbing. I could believe it would be a little bass heavy, but it doesn't cover the music, imo.

The overheads were a nightmare to work with, so I did the best I could with them, and added an analoguer to them, maybe that's the distortion you hear. The vox, I am using the saturation from the Eventide Ultrachannel. I definitely felt like it needed some grit.

Thanks for your input, and i'll tinker with it a little more!
Yeah, damned overheads ! And out of phase ^^ Sometimes, I wonder if it's not better to retrack the all drums myself at home (I'm a drummer), than spending lots of time trying to fix things.
Great recordings are easy to mix ! Bad recordings are nightmare ! It wasn't a nightmare here, but needed quite some work though !
Nice mix Draper,I like the low end punch with the bass and kick ,probably a taste thing they sound a touch upfront and maybe competing for space frequency at mainly 90hz to 150 , the snare bottom end attack may also contributing to low end build up.

CheersBig Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(19-08-2015, 04:56 PM)Mandubien Wrote: .......Overall, it sounds very hi fi : lots of low ends everywhere, it's quite disturbing.
The kick got completely lost when the the drums come in......

I agree! Undecided

I agree with Mandubien, I think low-end is overemphasized. Otherwise I think it’s a great mix.

You could check that low-end thing easily with frequency analyzer. Probably a problem with your monitoring and room. I’m quite sure that if I heard this mix through your system, it would sound fantastic. But in my room the low-end feels too undefined.
So I attacked the low end, with some other tweaks to the cymbals and guitars with a little to the acoustic. You guys were totally right about the low end, I think I was monitoring at too low of a volume. However, I now feel like my mix is lacking some movement, even with automation to try and swell into more exciting parts. . . am I crazy?

.mp3    Boz Mix contest 3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.61 MB)

Btw, I know there is still significant amounts of low end energy, but I feel like it's much more contained than before.
Yeah, something not happen with the kick/bass lower mids still but liking everything else esp the way you've handled the gtrs. Like how those strummed electrics add some power without swamping the mix, tricky stuff. All good. And I know what you mean about movement, but frankly this song ain't got no soul so it's kind of hard to generate any feel or excitement with mixing alone. Found it really hard work.